Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Vegas roomate staking situation?

My roommate will be coming to vegas with us this weekend. We'll be there thurs-sunday and he has no active cash bankroll and doesn't really want to take money out of online. He COULD and would be willing to if that's by far the best play, but doesn't want to cripple his online role.

He just moved up to 5/10 6max from 3/6 6max about a month month and a half ago and he's ran incredibly well and learned quite a bit and has gotten his role up to about 10k. He's definately a good player but hasn't quite experianced enough to be ready for 10/20 although he did take a shot and lost 40bb.

He would love to make enough money playing on the trip to pay for the trip, which will be somewhere in the 800 range if i had to guess.

I don't really care to make money off him, but at the same time don't want to get hosed on a deal.

Any suggestions on what we should do and what limits he should probably play?

The first idea that came to mind is the pretty standard stake him for the entire trip and control what limits he plays. Whatever he makes I take half, whatever he loses, i cover. I imagine I'll have him playing in the 15/30 game at the bellagio and if it's not a great game the 8/16. He's never played above 6/12 live so mb starting at 8's not ab ad idea. I just think he's good enough as long as he doesn't think about the chip denominations. Then again, he's probably not quite used to some of the better calliber players so maybe the 8 game is a safer route...?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Vegas roomate staking situation?

IMO your plan sounds good, let him play the 15 as long as he will play his usual game. From what I've seen there really just arent going to be any good players in that game. He should be able to figure it out.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:54 AM

i think hed be fine at the 15...and if the games r good and u trust his play possibly a tad higher...just see how he does the 1st day or so
Old 09-21-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The first idea that came to mind is the pretty standard stake him for the entire trip and control what limits he plays. Whatever he makes I take half, whatever he loses, i cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then obviously just stake him in the highest game you both think he can beat cause it will be the most +EV for both of you. I assume you've watched him play a lot and know what he is capable of, so as long as he isn't freaked out about the money, whatever you both decide on would be fine.

Oh and also kick schneids ass if he doesn't go
Old 09-21-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh and also kick schneids ass if he doesn't go

[/ QUOTE ]

He committed a few hours ago and we just bought plane tix so he'll be there w00t.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:29 AM

Since he's a friend I say your deal is fine, but since this will be a new experience for him I recommend allowing the option for you to cut the deal at anytime if you see him start to tilt off.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:18 AM

Since he's your roommate, I wouldn't treat this as "business," i.e. I wouldn't stake him. Instead, I would just loan him enough money for the weekend to enable him to play the 8/16 or 15/30 (whichever he prefers). Then just make sure he pays you back within a week or whatever term you decide on.

If you stake him and he loses, he may feel pretty guilty that he let you down. If he wins big, he may feel resentful at having to give half of the money he earned to you. Neither of those situations is good when you're talking about friends/roommates.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:06 AM

If he can beat 2/4 and higher online, he should have no problem taking down a 15 game over the course of a couple days in vegas... it was my experience over labor day weekend that the 15 games were VERY fishy @ bellagio, i ran good, but it wouldn't have mattered much b/c of the caliber of player. even the locals who i had pegged as rocks/grinders were calling raises with Q5o.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:04 PM

Id just loan him the money for sure. FYI 50% freerolls are very uncommon, if its your good buddy and obviously if hes playin 8-16 or 15-30 its not a big deal....But if you were going to stake somebody in a 1-2 or 2-4 game (ie somewhere you cared about your investmant) more like a 20-25% freeroll is more like it.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:10 PM

if he can beat 5/10 short then he should have no problem in the 15/30 at the bellagio. also, he should play in the mirage 20/40 as thats a very fun soft game.