Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 05:40 PM

Default What is better between these 2 examples

Ok this might seem a silly question but what would be the best online limits to play at to earn the most money? Assume our imaginary player is solid all the way up to 30/60.

Considering there are less fish as you move up where is the break?

Playing 8 tables of 2/4?
vs
Playing 2 tables of 15/30?
vs
Playing 1 tables of 30/60 or 50/100?

The money is more of course but the skill and attention required go up as you move up?

For example right now I am killing 2/4 like I never killed before. I usually play 3/6 and some 5/10 and I am in the positive but at 2/4 my earnings are higher because of the # of fish.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Re: What is better between these 2 examples

I'll antagonize some people by saying this but anyone with a 3-digit IQ, the right books (and/or teacher(s), and control of their emotions should need less than a month to become a 1-BB ($4) per 100 hands winner at 2-4 and should progress smoothly to double or even a little more by the end of a year assuming some reasonable effort to select the best game(s). Since our "imaginary player" is "solid all the way up to 30-60" we can put him in the 2+ BB/100hand range and place his win-rate at 2-4 somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 per 100 hands if playing 8 tables at once.

I have no meaningful stats for 15-30 but the games are clearly much tougher - and fewer in number. There are quite a few but nowhere near as many as 2-4 or 3-6. Someone who plays at this limit could give a better estimate as to the earning potential RELATIVE to 2-4 but I'll take a stab and say that 1 BB/100 hands is achievable by anyone who makes a real effort and 1.2-1.3 should be available to a good (but not world class) player.

Using the lower figure (1.0) we see that 15-30 is more profitable - albeit marginally - than 2-4.

I couldn't even begin to guess what a solid but unspectacular player might win at 50-100 but if he's playing full time (40+ hrs per week) I doubt if his win rate in dollars could exceed the 2-tabling 15-30 player.

He has almost no game selection; he can wait games out until they get good but what with the tiny number of games he could spend more hours on the wait-list than in the game(s).

As a good but not great player he'll be sitting with alot of players who are equal to or better than he is while waiting to feast on the fish that gets lost on the way to the slot machines. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I don't know how many of these there are, nor how long they typically stay in the games, but I'm guessing not many and not long.

My asessment would therefore be 15-30 for max. profit assuming he CAN handle two games at once at this level and further assuming he can NOT handle more than 8 games of 2-4.

Now I have a question for you.

Why choose ?

I play 3-6 and 5-10 at PARTY, 10-20 at BoDog when the game(s) is good and 15-30 at a few select sites (TRUEPOKER among them though these games seem to go less and less often - sigh) and as high as 40-80 live (though I have been spotted at 2-5 NL on weekends if the game is good).

My girlfriend frequently takes me to task for answering the question that interests me as opposed to the one that was asked, but since I already answered yours (15-30, scroll up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) I'll go on a brief rant about being willing, capable and adequately capitalized to play in [virtually] any game(s) that looks to be the best available. I have stood up from 40-80 live games to grab a seat at 10-20 if the latter was far superior to the former - or when the former had gotten so tough that ANY game with a +ev was superior since I had little or no earn in the bigger game.

When someone states that they are [sic] a "15-30 player" I am reminded of the people who lay claim to being "stud-players" or "N-L/P-L" [holdem/omaha] players.

How nice for them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And for me.

It's nice for me because I'll never have to compete with them for a seat at whatever game they don't play.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: What is better between these 2 examples

Thanks, that helped keep things in perspective. I always say I would rather pick a lower game with more fish than a higher limit one with less fish. So 15/30 is the ultimate achievement online huh? I put it at 10/20 but I was close. Then again I figure at 10/20 you can only play 2 tables, like 15/30. Guess the ratio of good to fish is not that much different between the two.

I can play max 6x 2/4, 4x 3/6, and I only would play 2x 5/10 and up so I can keep an eye on players.

If I have the bankroll (and balls) I would play probably upto 20/40 live. My guess thats equal to 5/10 online except I get tells which makes it more profitable for me.

I've played $400 NL online and did good at it but I did not feel comfortable at all with that amount of money in there. I slid back down to $100 and $200 NL.