Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Afraid of playing after winning back my money... help?

Ok so last summer I started playing freebie SNGs... I then started entering .10 SNGs, then .20s, then .5s, then $1... etc, all the way to $10 SNG. I was just raking in the cash and losing very little and skyrocketing my account with an overall ROI of like 81%. I went on a huge downswing playing SNGs and lost like 50% of my roll. I then played and won it back and a little while later I decided I was bored of poker and took a break.

I started back up this year in March at $1 SNGs and am back up to $5 SNGs... two days ago I lost about 30% of my roll and spent about 10+ hours grinding it out to win it back and then some. I ended up 15% from my original starting spot.

Now the situation: I am afraid of playing just like I was last summer because I don't want to face a swing again... someone want to give me some logic so I can get my head strait. Having my bankroll fly up and down is not fun.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Afraid of playing after winning back my money... help?

It is of the opinion of many that post here (mine included) that if you are worried about going broke all the time, it affects your abilities to play correctly.

What is your bankroll? And what are you trying to accomplish?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is of the opinion of many that post here (mine included) that if you are worried about going broke all the time, it affects your abilities to play correctly.

What is your bankroll? And what are you trying to accomplish?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started out july with $12 in my account.

Now my current bankroll is $227 that I use to play $5 SNGs... I have $550 more on neteller but I don't want to touch it.

I don't know what I'm trying to accomplish... before I was hoping to get to playing $10 SNG multitabling 4 at once and making a little more than minimum wage/hr (would need like an .18 ROI)
Old 08-05-2005, 05:36 AM

I read the title of your post and right away I knew what your problem was. The money is not yours. It belongs to your bankroll. Think of it as though you have a very small business. In other words, think of the money as though it is illiquid.

This means that when you win, you don't just cash out your winnings and buy stuff. It also means that when you lose, you don't have to live without electicity or heat.

It sounds to me like you don't have the best cash situation right now. If that is the case, I recommend getting a job, so that you can afford to play.