Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 12:58 PM

Default anyone know anything about music software?

My son wants some music software for his upcoming 11th birthday. He's looking for a way of hooking up his keyboard to a computer, toying around with different sounds, composing music, generating sheet music and making recordings.

Does anyone have any suggestions, keeping in mind my priority is software that is relatively easy to use?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: anyone know anything about music software?

You'll learn a lot more by visiting a local music store.

MIDI is compatable with most keyboards, and many new operating platforms (especially Macs) have software that comes either standard or as an added expense. Otherwise, the music store or Comp USA should have several options.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:29 PM

I second that idea. I dabbled in computer driven music 15 years ago and have a friend who's really into it, but I haven't followed it much. I got the kids an awesome Yamaha keyboard last year for $80 on clearance and went to the local Guitar Center to get a keyboard stand. The stuff they have is jawdropping compared to what it used to be. And really cheap compared to what it used to cost. You can still spend megabucks, but even the most basic setup will now blow away what you had to spend thousands on just 5 years ago.

Sounds like a great gift for a kid. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:52 PM

here's a page of freeware that you can download. It doesn't look like it's been updated in awhile, but there's a lot to choose from.

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/freeware/

... and if your son has a midi keyboard - there's still the issue of 'hooking it up' to the computer.

...here's an interface that allows you to do that
http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_...T1x1-main.html

...there may be cheaper ones out there. but not only can he interface the software using he keyboard with this - but he can use the software to sequence music that plays on your son's keyboard.

If you want to spend some money - go with Propellerheads Reason... it's amazing... and not only is it relatively simple to use - it's pro-level, and you can even purchase "teaching music with Reason" .. I have no idea whether it's something suitable for an 11 year old.. but there is an available lesson on their website (http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/) if you wanted to check it out. There are free demos available as well.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:26 PM

Thanks a lot. I've received some other recommendations (primarily for a program called Cakewalk), but I will check out those links.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:41 PM

Is the keyboard MIDI compatible, either through a MIDI jack or USB?

How much are you willing to spend?

What kind of sound card does your computer have?

I have tried Cakewalk Project 5
Propellerhead Reason
Ableton Live

I would say these programs are not anywhere on the easy to use side, but with trial and error all are pretty good. The easiest of the 3 was Reason. These might be a little more than you are looking for though.

The sound card on your computer is probably the most important thing. If you have a cheap soundcard you will have latency between the keys and the program which really sucks.

For a "quality" cheap recording sound card you may want to look into this:

M-audio Soundcard

This will also give you a MIDI in jack.

I have a light version of Ableton Live that I can mail to you for free if you want it. It came with a preamp I bought and I have no use for it.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:55 PM

I believe the keyboard is MIDI compatible (it says MIDI keyboard), but I don't know yet what kind of jack it has. Thanks for the offer on the Ableton, but I think I'm going to try some of the free demos people have recommended first.

And thanks to everyone for the suggestions.