Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Serenity: the movie

For me personally, I knew the movie would be nothing like the show. There was such great character development and they could do more because you would be back next week to learn about the characters; it's much harder to do that in a 2 hour movie with that size ensemble.

It was more of the little things; ie River not just being annoying, great and entertaining "villain", and obviously some improved animation, which doesn't really matter, but it was nice to see.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:38 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

ok i watched it tonight.

novel score, they really mixed it up and it wasn't standard sci-fi
lighter elements worked and were well-paced
solid effects and fight scenes

the dialogue, however, was ridiculous.

"i neer felt anything twixt my nethers in 2 years"

"that's the best gorramn wave in the verse"

the first is easy to understand when you read it. the second is too, in context (gorramn is the 'new goddamn', wave means a broadcast, verse is the universe). generally the dialogue was ultra fast and hard to understand. subtitles right? right. but the subtitles on the dvd move around with the characters. it's supposed to help, but when you've got text on the bottom right of the screen and then it jumps to the top left it's difficult to track and generally takes away from the visualization of the movie (which is good and disappointing to miss).

now all of the dialogue doesn't need to be deeply understood, and the movie could be watched without any of that. some people will probably say it was fine too. it wasn't fine, and there are a million points in the movie where if subtitles weren't on i could ask you what was just said and you would not be able to repeat any of it.

i thought it was good, not great. i do look forward to watching it a second time since i soaked up all of the dialogue via annoying subtitles.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:05 AM

I would say, before watching the movie again, try and check out the series. It will turn the movie into a completely different experience, and you'll be more acquainted with dialogue (even though some of it was really dumb... like the vibrator quote, I'm not even gonna bother looking it up).

The quality of the one liners and monologues in this movie far exceeded the quality of character dialogue.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How much of the tv series did you see?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to my girlfriend's taste in television, our DVD collection contains five seasons of Buffy and two seasons of Angel.

I'm guessing I've seen more Buffy episodes than most Buffy fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] buffy