Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Suckout Frustration

[ QUOTE ]
I am not exaggerating. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to start being honest with yourself if you want to get better. You have to admit you are not yet as good as you think you are. This will motivate you to get better.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Totally change my approach? [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not exaggerating. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to start being honest with yourself if you want to get better. You have to admit you are not yet as good as you think you are. This will motivate you to get better.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Totally change my approach? [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're using the quotes in a very original way.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:03 AM

But dudes... they just randomize the game to the point where the good player has no edge at all!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:24 AM

Fold all your hands pre-flop and nobody will suck out on you.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:41 AM

If you follow your new plan, you will be on the road to becoming a world class sucker. You need to understand that these suckouts are good things and that they are the whole reason why it is possible to win at poker.

FYI, I have been playing 15/30, 20/40 and 30/60 limit for the last year and the suckouts are still incredibly frequent. Nothing is going to change if you move up. The actually percentage of suckouts might be lower but they still happen constantly and you opponents will make you pay more when they do hit their hands.

Once you realize that suckouts are good, you might have a chance.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing smallstakes holdem' for a few years now. I am at the point where I can't afford the bankroll for 3/6 or more, so I primarily play 2/4 or 1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

This line here is the most telling part of the post. You seem like a decent guy, but if you've been playing 1/2 and 2/4 for a few years and cannot yet afford to move up to 3/6, it's your game that's the problem, not anyone else's. Read SSHE and TOP and spend some time around here. Once you develop a better understanding of the game, you will look at things totally differently from how you do now, and like an earlier poster said, you'll be able to look back and laugh.

Good luck (not that you'll need it, as you'll learn).

-Adam
Old 10-27-2005, 01:06 PM

Get PokerTracker. You only THINK you are losing money on AA, KK. But the cold hard facts will consistently remind you otherwise.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing smallstakes holdem' for a few years now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have been playing for a few years, you should be posting hands. You might not be improving at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Every time i have good cards i get sucked out. I am not exaggerating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Law of probability is constant. You will be sucked out a certain % of the time always. In the short run it may appear like 100%, but its not.

[ QUOTE ]
OK possible solutions: Totally change my approach?

For example always limp with big pairs and be prepared to fold any time there is action and i don't improve?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really bad idea, unless you really want to lose more money.

Get pokertracker. Read forums, post hands, and not just bad beats.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:21 PM

The key to low limit hold-em is knowing that you will lose many pots on suckouts, BUT, when you win pots, they are HUGE (in terms of BB's) because of the dead money in there. If you cannot beat bad players who make poor decisions, you won't beat players making good decisions. You make money by making less mistakes than the others who play against you. he who makes the fewest mistakes win. Also, without knowing you, You play too many hands.

LLL
Old 10-27-2005, 01:58 PM

Hi Sladgie-

Getting good hands run down is a fact of life in low limit. I have been consistently successful for the last few years after I took a hard look at the hands that I was losing with. I discovered that I was playing too many drawing hands and was too aggressive with middle pairs pre-flop. I also play hands like AK, AQ, and AJ soft occassionally. This way, I am not obligated to make a continuation bet if I miss the flop. In any event, I have reduced my negative variance a lot by analyzing my losses. Perhaps doing the same thing will help you. If you have Wolson's Turbo Hold Em, you can use the software to analyze your play without committing money. Finally, I have not noticed that big hands get run down less as you progress, at least from 1/2 to 4/8 limit. Since I don't play at levels higher than 4/8, I can't comment on them.

Good Luck,