Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 12-23-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Unethical?

It's definately legal, but that kind of player often leads to the break up of a home game.

Mr. K-J was a fool to believe him, btw.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:06 AM

Yes. Illegal? I'm not sure if this falls under a version of "misdeclaring your hand intentionally" rule or not.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:30 AM

Legal and ethical. He didn't misrepresent his hand. He did what he could to get a call. The other player was dumb enough to believe him. Its poker.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:24 AM

Not cool in a home game among friends. I wouldn't invite that person to my homegame again.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Legal and ethical. He didn't misrepresent his hand. He did what he could to get a call. The other player was dumb enough to believe him. Its poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its angleshooting. It doesn't fall in the category of lying about your hand. Its closer in spirit in a NL game when a player looks over and says, how much do you have, and player B replies about 40 bucks, then when Player A goes all in (with 150 in front of him) Player B reveals that he actually has two one hundred dollar chips hidden behind his low denoms and calls the all-in. Complete BS and shouldn't be allowed.

--Zetack
Old 12-27-2005, 04:01 PM

Why did he tell everyone he looked? If I pull something like this, I am definitely acting very surprised when *WHOA* my retarded move worked!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:29 AM

Its angleshooting. It doesn't fall in the category of lying about your hand. Its closer in spirit in a NL game when a player looks over and says, how much do you have, and player B replies about 40 bucks, then when Player A goes all in (with 150 in front of him) Player B reveals that he actually has two one hundred dollar chips hidden behind his low denoms and calls the all-in. Complete BS and shouldn't be allowed.

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

True, it is angleshooting. But, I don't think your example corollates. In the original example the "blind better" lied about betting in the dark. If the caller was paying attention he could have noticed this.

In your example, player B lied about what player A could not be aware of because the chips were "hidden". Player A asked about something not self evident and would not expect an untruthful answer as a part of gamemanship (and , I believe, illegal).

I agree with others that it is not illegal, but a dick move among friends.

Betty
Old 12-28-2005, 02:40 PM

This is certainly not the same as lying about your stack size in a NL tournament. You are required by TDA rules to keep large denomination chips visable and in the front/top of the stack, and are required to give an accurate count or let the dealer count your stack when asked.

There is nothing against any rules about lying about whether you looked at your hand. It is coffeehousing.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:03 PM

In an actual B&M game, I'd say this would be kind of lame, but certainly allowable. In a home game with people that are supposed to be friends, or at a minimum, acquaintances, this move was just bad sportsmanship. He wouldn't be receiving any invites to my next homegame, that's for sure.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:58 PM

That is so unethical, and has to payoff so much I think I'll try it.