Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-22-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Standard fold?

OK, agreed, but IMO all the new information is in the OP's favor!!! We all know that playing speculative hands often puts us in a position to make tough decisions, and the OP seems unwilling to pull the trigger on a tough decision, so again why play a hand that we are afraid of when it hits?

BT
Old 11-22-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand -- you played a poor starting hand with the hopes of hitting something -- you hit the 2nd nut straight with no flush possibilities and an unlikely possiblity of a boat and you want to fold? Why did we start this hand again?

BT

[/ QUOTE ]

Great pot odds preflop and I can easily hit it good which I did but under the circumstances i think this is one of the times where I should fold this. I would instapush with the same action but with one T since the only hand I would be afraid of would be AQ.

I never fold this preflop.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Seems to me the SB is protecting his hand on the turn and the river..Why would he make such a large bet if he wants to be paid off..

Either hes probably got the same hand as you, or he was holding AQ (less likely) and slowplayed it. Possible that he was holding a ten and trying to slowplay you and got scared when the king came for the straight possibilities.

I say move all in. In a tournament you really cant pass these opportunities up, you need to accumulate chips. Hes just going to have to show me J10/K10/AQ.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand -- you played a poor starting hand with the hopes of hitting something -- you hit the 2nd nut straight with no flush possibilities and an unlikely possiblity of a boat and you want to fold? Why did we start this hand again?

BT

[/ QUOTE ]

Great pot odds preflop and I can easily hit it good which I did but under the circumstances i think this is one of the times where I should fold this. I would instapush with the same action but with one T since the only hand I would be afraid of would be AQ.

I never fold this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heaven - You are either playing on such an advanced level that I can't comprehend the action...or you're a donk.

At the risk of getting flamed by NoahSD, I also challenge your thinking in folding this on the river but not the turn.

What range of hands do you put SB on that has you beat? I would think AQ and KK would reraise PF. JJ might be possible. TT is remote. 22 seems highly unlikely to continue with that flop.

I think this was misplayed on all streets. I would have folded pre flop.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:14 PM

It's the first [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

4-1 to call preflop. I'm not going anywhere with Q9 here. I'm not gonna play it to the fullest if the flop is something like Q-4-2 but with as little risk as another 40 is now in the beginning I take the gamle. I could easily outflop both of them or get a straight as I did here but this is one of those times where I don't like the action at all. The only questionable thing in this hand is my call on his minraise. I should probably fold the hand right there. Is there a leak in my game for thinking that that was the only error here? I really can't see anything else...

But anyway, the only reasonable reason to why I called the minraise when I should fold/re-raise is that I wanted to see if there was any merit to his minraise on the river. If he bets out small, im like "fine, im curious on what you could min raise with, take my chips" but now, betting out 500 makes me think "Ok, he probably got a hand he want us to pay bigtime for and he is expecting atleast one of us to call with that board." It could also mean "Crap I missed my flush/straight draw, lets hope they don't call me on this scary board, which wouldn't surprise me on the 10+1 level but I had a feeling it was the first one".

<font color="white">As both of us folded, he showed us what he held. He had <font color="white"> KK </font> . One of the weirdest played <font color="white"> KK </font> I have ever seen to be honest. The original raiser said he had AK if that makes any difference.</font>

The only real thing that could make me call 500 here, would be if an Ace fell and even then I would be really cautious but I would prolly call/push.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:22 PM

Tough laydown but great read. In this case, I guess you got away as cheaply as possible barring folding PF (which I still advocate).

nh sir
Old 11-22-2005, 08:48 PM

I think you're missing his point NoahSD. The whole reason why you would play a junk hand like Q9 is for the implied odds that if you flop big you might stack some guy that is over playing his hand. If you're not going to call or value bet when you get a lot of action when you do flop big then there is little reason to play it because you end up spewing chips all the times you don't hit and the times when you fold the winning hand. It's better not to play this hand at all if you're going to make folds like this. It's better yet to play this hand and get all the money in when you flop big.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:04 PM

Insta Call there are so many donks in stars multis that you cant possibly fold. The guy could easily have a ten that hasn't filled up kj, kq maybe a horrible played aa there are way too many hands your beating to fold. Also its the third hand the guy could be making a stupid bluff or something unless you have an amazing read because you play with this guy all the time I don't know how you can justify a fold.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're missing his point NoahSD. The whole reason why you would play a junk hand like Q9 is for the implied odds that if you flop big you might stack some guy that is over playing his hand. If you're not going to call or value bet when you get a lot of action when you do flop big then there is little reason to play it because you end up spewing chips all the times you don't hit and the times when you fold the winning hand. It's better not to play this hand at all if you're going to make folds like this. It's better yet to play this hand and get all the money in when you flop big.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all in the action. If it was different I may have pushed or I may have called. It all depends on how the other players are playing. Here, I felt I was beat. I don't fold this everytime I sense danger.