Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Tired of Getting Pushed Around

assuming it's the same guy: i wouldn't have bluffed the 2nd hand especially given i only have 1 OC and the BDFD, i'd like to see the turn cheaply. he's obviously aggressive on blind defense.

and i'd consider pushing back on the flop: 3-bet, which i'd consider on the 1st one because it is possible we still have the best hand and i'd like a free turn card and possible call the river.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:22 PM

The other thing to do is to wait to pop him when you DO flop a hand. Wait until the river and let him take the lead expecting that you'll fold. Then BAM!. It only takes a couple of times before he'll slow down on his steal attempts.

Everybody else seems happy to fold to your open raises as well. Start raising (occasionally) with some lower suited connectors and make him realise that he's making a mistake messing with a 2+2er on ANY flop. Watch him crumble like the biatch he is.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:41 PM

You are at least calling in both of these hands. So I guess the question is if you should raise either of these. Meh I wouldn't raise, but that is not to say that I would never raise with nothing here. You have to pop an UI something roughly 20% of the time in this spot. Most of them would be as a semibluff (more then 8 surefire outs) or with a hand that can get out of dodge when 3-bet. Making raises with hands that have 4 locks and 0-6 maybe wins are about the worst types of hands to raise the turn with.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are at least calling in both of these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would have folded the second hand for sure. I may call turn in hand 1, but likely not. Please explain.

[ QUOTE ]
You have to pop an UI something roughly 20% of the time in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where do you get this from?

Thanks Brad.

-Brad
Old 12-12-2005, 02:48 PM

I think that calling down hand 1 might have made the following hand easier to play.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:00 PM

hand1: this is close because we have a gutshot and the overcards, but the pot is small, so we should probably fold. What is a TAG BB defending with that we are ahead of or can draw given the pot size, and beat? Not much I think.

hand2: probably folding this pre-flop. wow post-flop, this looks about the same as hand1, but a bit thinner as we only have one overcard.

all-in-all, we should probably pick some better hands to play against this guy
Old 12-12-2005, 03:08 PM

Each of these hands look to be worth > 7 outs. We are getting 5.25:1 + implied odds so that should be enough to see a river card. Add in a few bluffing outs and the times that he gives up on the end, and it looks like a straight forward call to me.

Ok so now show me where I went wrong.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Each of these hands look to be worth > 7 outs. We are getting 5.25:1 + implied odds so that should be enough to see a river card. Add in a few bluffing outs and the times that he gives up on the end, and it looks like a straight forward call to me.

Ok so now show me where I went wrong.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, well, I was thinking around 6 outs each. I don't think implied odds are good for a pair, but for a straight you are detting 2 bets on the river each time, so a turn call is okay. What river cards are you bluff-raising in hand 1? In hand 2 you could maybe bluff raise an A, but that's about it.

Just to clarify, when you said that we need to pop him with air about 20% of the time, did you mean 3bet the turn or raise the river? Also, how did you arrive at 20%? I would never have considered how often we need to raise with air, and am curious why we would.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:17 PM

I don't think I raise K9s with this guy on the button, personally.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait till you're in this situation a 3rd time and then instead of betting the flop, check-raise and bet the turn if he calls. If he thinks your "i have UI overs" line is raise PF, bet flop, fold to raise, then he'll think you're "i really have something this time" line is check-raise flop, bet turn.

I use this line in this situation a lot of times, even if I whiff on the flop and it works pretty well.

Then i follow that up with catching a good hand on the flop and using the "i have UI overs" line, which lets me reraise the flop and bet the hand out. He then calls down the hand thinking I'm just trying to buy the pot.

Edited to say: this is obviously opponent specific. I've recently refused to play more than 2 tables in order to focus more on opponent tendencies and really improve my game.

EVERYONE SHOULD DO THIS. At least once a week. You'd be amazed at how much you can take advantage of at a table by really watching how people play.

IMO, you just can't physically pay attention to everything you need to when playing 4 tables or more. I can't even do it playing 3. For me personally, the amount my winrate increases by playing 2 tables and focusing far outweighs getting in 300 hands/hour 4 tabling. I learn nothing 4 tabling. I've improved more the past 2 weeks of 2 tabling than I have in 6 months of 4 tabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to think a check raise line is pretty darn good if you know a player likes to to raise in these HU steal situations.

If the flop is raggy and all I'm doing is making a follow through flop bet anyway, then why not either take a free card or check raise if he bets and put him to the test instead of being in that position myself.

I also agree on 2 tabling vs 4. For bonus clearing you can make the case that 4 tabling is better, but for learning I think 2 is optimal.