Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 02:30 PM

Default thoughts on massive overbets?

suppose youve got the nuts, but either you made your hand late, or just for some reason you could not build up the pot.

how often will you find that a massive overbet into a mediocre pot will get a call from someone who thinks you're just trying to steal it and they want to 'keep you honest' if they have any piece of the board?

does anyone have any experience with this? did you have to establish a table image first, or did you only do it against people that would be more likely to try to keep you in check?

any thoughts from all levels of SSNL would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: thoughts on massive overbets?

One of the best uses for massive over bets is when your opponent will call any bet but is unlikely to raise (and you have the nuts). For many opponents that is when they have the second or third nut flush on a four flush board. Also if they have a one card straight (9x on 8765) and have already led for pot on a 4 straight board (and you have 910). Also if you have a boat and they likely have a flush on a three flush paired board.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the best uses for massive over bets is when your opponent will call any bet but is unlikely to raise (and you have the nuts). For many opponents that is when they have the second or third nut flush on a four flush board. Also if they have a one card straight (9x on 8765) and have already led for pot on a 4 straight board (and you have 910). Also if you have a boat and they likely have a flush on a three flush paired board.

[/ QUOTE ]

so do you find it pretty useless unless the villain is holding something less thsn a straight or flush, or is playing most of the board?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:59 PM

In general I do not use this massive overbet. Certainly against certain opponents (especially those on tilt or those who play especially badly) it can be used more often but in general I prefer playing straightforward poker.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In general I do not use this massive overbet. Certainly against certain opponents (especially those on tilt or those who play especially badly) it can be used more often but in general I prefer playing straightforward poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.. i dont think it's a standard play and should probably be used only for special occassions.

although at one table i did think a few times with the nuts hoping that it'd set me up later because one person would just think i've been stealing.. think i got up before i could really get any use out of it though
Old 11-21-2005, 04:46 PM

This pretty well sums it up.

The Four Realms of the Overbet
Old 11-21-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This pretty well sums it up.

The Four Realms of the Overbet

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome! reading now - thx