Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Failed bluff - worth a try? and pausing like they do on TV

Please comment on my flop, turn & in particular my river bluff and river hesitation. All constructive criticism welcome.

63s in the SB so I complete on the grounds that you should see the flop from the SB with any 2 suited.

Good I have a flush draw and although I am only drawing to a small flush, I have learned from the forum to be aggressive with flush draws, hence my decision to bet on the flop.

Turn - no luck, but with only two opponents I decide to semi-bluff.

River - no luck again, now my only chance to win the pot is to bet, hence I figured a bluff to be in order. Again no luck when MP3 raises. Bluff raises are virtually unheard of at this level, so a bluff re-raise is out of the question. I have an absolute no brainer of a fold here. do you think my bluff will work sufficiently often to make it worthwhile?

Now this is when I remember watching all those guys on TV hesitating before making no brainer folds and although I am not quite sure why I decided to hesitate before folding. I guess I didn't want to give the game away that I was bluffing.

Is this hesitation beneficial, counter-productive or just a waste of time (no-one will notice anyway). Interested in hearing your views.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls.

River: (5.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 10-19-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Failed bluff - worth a try? and pausing like they do on TV

I thought one of the keys to a bluff was not to do it if you think someone will call you? You are bluffing out of the SB and are representing an ace, but if it was a strong ace you probably would have raised preflop. So I think an A is calling you for sure, [censored], even an T with a good kicker may call there as well.

I would have fired once and then thats it. Also you are totally out of posistion with this hand as well. I would like this play more in LP so you can either bet or semi-bluff and reraise someone on that flop so that you could get a free river card.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now this is when I remember watching all those guys on TV hesitating before making no brainer folds and although I am not quite sure why I decided to hesitate before folding. I guess I didn't want to give the game away that I was bluffing.

Is this hesitation beneficial, counter-productive or just a waste of time (no-one will notice anyway). Interested in hearing your views.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hesitated at the wrong time. I would have used the dramatic pause before bluffing the river.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:06 PM

Pot doesn't seem big enough to fight for. Take your free card and check fold when you don't hit the river.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:19 PM

Hold on. Your pauseing for effect in an online game?

All that does is bother people. Too many things make people slow play. bad conectio etc
Old 10-19-2004, 09:22 PM

Instead of worrying about your "hesitation move", why don't you work on improving you overall postflop game. That would go a long way in improving your online play and keep you from falling into FSP habits.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:35 PM

Just fold preflop.