Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Stars v. Party

Since de-skinning, i've moved from Eurobet (party) to Stars for the moment.

My game is still $100NL 6-max, but i'm noticing a few major differences in the player base, hopefully someone can shed some light on why these differences exist or other notable differences.

Stars has more "better" LAG's
Lots of Stars players often buy-in for $20 or $40 at a 100NL table (?) then we're playing shortstack poker.
Stars is generally a bit tighter, and more aggressive PF. It's also a bit more passive post-flop.
Stars is also a bit slower in # hands per table per hour
Avoiding the better LAG's and TAG's, there's still a crapload of fishy players.

Can anyone else chip in on the differences? It appears to not be quite as profitable at this limit as Party... but i'm whoring the bonus currently and waiting to open a party acct under an affil account. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Stars v. Party

How quickly are you clearing that bonus? At lower NL levels it takes forever to get FPPs.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How quickly are you clearing that bonus? At lower NL levels it takes forever to get FPPs.

[/ QUOTE ]

It still takes a bit of time in the 100 6max games unless you find some sweet tables. Not a ton of pots get to the $20 that is needed to get a FPP, but it is clearable at the 100 level. At 50 and below it's a joke to try and clear. 200 games should clear at a relatively decent rate but I haven't played them yet. The 100 PLO games are pretty good too.

To the OP, you pretty much nailed a lot of the differences in the games. Still very beatable but different. The reason for all the shortstacks is probably that when you sit down the default buy-in is short but on party it is a full buy-in. Less pots get to showdown I've found so I pick up a lot of pots with selective aggression.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:34 PM

Just for you, I looked it up.

So far... 276 FPP in 1500 hands. Avg Pot $14.03

Notably, my NL100 6-max at Eurobet/Party avg pot was $18.77
Old 10-18-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just for you, I looked it up.

So far... 276 FPP in 1500 hands. Avg Pot $14.03

Notably, my NL100 6-max at Eurobet/Party avg pot was $18.77

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. 4500 hands to clear a 150 bonus. That's 30x. I will definitely wait until I'm in the 200's and stick to the Party fish tank for now.

Thanks for looking it up.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:20 PM

I play the NL100 on stars.

I've always seen lots of people buy in for $40, but the $20 buyin seems like a new fad. It seems like EVERYONE is doing it. Ugh, I hate it.

Also, while the bonuses take a while to clear at NL100, stars offers reload bonuses very frequently.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, while the bonuses take a while to clear at NL100, stars offers reload bonuses very frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I thought Stars almost never offered reloads. I know it's not nearly as often as Party/Skins. And if they take a long time to clear why does it matter if they offer them frequently?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:33 PM

I don't play all that much online, but I always seem to be clearing a stars bonus. Everytime I clear one, a new one is offered.

FWIW, I don't play on Party so I can't really compare.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:15 PM

Yeah they do reloads reasonably often. Thing about Stars is their bonus' don't expire, they just sit in your account after reloads waiting for you to play them off so they're released.

Overall I think the game is fishier at PP, but Stars as a company I have a lot more respect for and would trust them far beyond Party. Lee Jones and staff are pretty hands-on and from a customer service point of view they're the best I've tried by a long shot.

I wish I could stay at Stars, but the pond is deeper at Party still, and I'm hating these $20 buy-ins.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:32 PM

If you are playing $100 NL 6 max and not clearing the Crypto bonuses (about 500 hands for $50) but are playing 1500 hands/$50 bonus games at Stars instead (which are also much tougher tables) then you really are insane [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]