Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Trying to improve limit cash game, forget about 2/4?

I'm in Minnisota right now for a month and the wifi at the hotel sucks so bad I can't play any Sng's which is my strongest game. I couldn't play any poker at all actually, because the connection would always time out and I was just wasting money. I mostly went too MN with my brother because he is on a out of town job, and it was a good opportunity to get some live play in.

I found out that in Minnisota that they only have limit cash games and only NHLE tournaments, but they only have tournaments every so often so what better time to improve my limit game then now?

Limit is one of my weaker games I play and I've been playing mostly everyday I've been up here. So far I have only been playing 2/4 and I have really been thinking about if I should've just started at the 3/6 table instead.
Reason being is so many times I've been beat by terrible play and terrible call downs and suck outs that I'm wondering if I should just begone with 2/4 all together.

As far as my experience for playing limit, I would say I'm pretty knowledgable of the game. I have read several books about the game but my live play I would say I have had around 30, 10 hour days under my belt.

Any advice you can give me would be great, and I would greatly appreciate it, and thanks for your time.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Trying to improve limit cash game, forget about 2/4?

work on beating the extremely loose games before u move up. These games will actually help u make alot of money but u need to be check rqaisding ur top pair hands and doing what u gotta do to thin the field in these games. Also players are usually very straight foprward and any aggression means they have it. So when u have kk and theres a flush draw on the board, turn brings a flush card and u get raised, muck immediately. Your biggest asset in these games is the bet/fold
Old 12-13-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reason being is so many times I've been beat by terrible play and terrible call downs and suck outs that I'm wondering if I should just begone with 2/4 all together.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a reason to move up. The less terrible call downs you face, the less money you make. If you read and study Small Stakes Hold Em by David Sklansky, Ed Miller, and Mason Malmuth and, you will understand how to beat the games you play in.

There aren't really that many general tips I can give you. But here goes.
-don't cold-call raises with weak hands
-don't play marginal hands out of position
-always be aware of the size of the pot
-In multiway pots, it is seldom correct to draw to overcards unless you have a draw to go with it.
-If it hasn't been raised, raise big suited cards preflop, even from the SB or the BB when a lot of loose limpers have already come in.
-Don't be afraid to raise with TT, no matter how many limpers there are. If it is raised in front of you, 3 bet it.
-If there is a bettor to your right, and the pot is large, it is often correct to raise with middle pair, unless you know for a fact you are behind.
-Raise and reraise with strong draws (8 or more outs) on the flop (not the turn) when when there is a bet to your left. Don't raise when there is a bet to your right unless you have a pair or overcards to go with your draw.

Best,
Snowball
Old 12-13-2005, 12:56 AM

thanks alot for the advice Sinnister
Old 12-13-2005, 01:01 AM

thanks for the tips. do some of the tips pertain to preflop and other tips refer to turn river? or all preflop?