Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: who cares about M

[ QUOTE ]
You've completely missed the point of my post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said you seemed to be arguing against a strawman and I meant it. I read this forum and I really see very few people saying "my M is 5.7, therefore I'm not allowed to fold," or anything along those lines.

The general notion that one should not treat any poker book like a blackjack basic strategy is valid, but seriously, where are all the people who are supposedly doing this??
Old 10-06-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You've completely missed the point of my post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said you seemed to be arguing against a strawman and I meant it. I read this forum and I really see very few people saying "my M is 5.7, therefore I'm not allowed to fold," or anything along those lines.

The general notion that one should not treat any poker book like a blackjack basic strategy is valid, but seriously, where are all the people who are supposedly doing this??

[/ QUOTE ]
Presicely. The fact that poker, especially no limit, is such a vibrant game with innumerable subtleties... anyone who has posted here for more than a day knows that there's no one right thing to do in any situation, or that you should robotically follow any suggested 'rules'. It is a total strawman.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please, please re-read my post and figure it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sorry i didn't do this first. but i'm lazy and the point of the post was slightly amgbigious the first time through, but after anohther reading, and your responses i think i get your point now.

I do agree with it pretty strongly now. so many people make these posts just looking for hard and fast rules so that they don't have to put in any thought of their own, which will never lead them to be more than slight winners at best. i think i just get even more frustrated when i hear the 10x BB rule or something like that, since thats even worse strategy. i mean nonthinking type strategy usually sucks, but at least using M i feel is slightly less bad, since the odds are being taken into account with the precence of antees, which is a pretty significant variable.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:00 PM

I think that the HOH books and the concept of M are not aimed at beginners but really at any players including semi-pro. The concept of M is all about your position in the tournament based on your chip stack size. When the blinds are large based upon your stack size it is very important to go after them to help build your stack. When your stack size is large you can play in many differnet ways which include slow playing, loose playing or any other type including being tight. But when you are low on chips you can't afford to do that. You need to build your stack in order to put yourself in position to win.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the HOH books and the concept of M are not aimed at beginners but really at any players including semi-pro. The concept of M is all about your position in the tournament based on your chip stack size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the whole idea is that as your options get limited there aren't as many profitable gambles available... so M is a great tool in finding profitable bets, or even the least negative bets when you get VERY short.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:09 PM

I know I was somewhat guilty of this during aruba, but I also have a personal problem with raising 1/5-1/6 my stack and having to fold to a raise
Old 10-06-2005, 05:42 PM

I care about M.

M is good.

I like M.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:16 PM

I agree. M is a great movie.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. M is a great movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it was pretty good, but as always, the book was much better!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:09 PM

I've read thru some of the comments to this post, and would like to mention my perspective.

When I first read Harringtons book, I learned some of the concepts like M. Did I take that to an end all be all? Nope, but it does help to avoid being in the danger zone, and not folding a hand like KTo on the bb when you have 3bb's and someone raises you because "its an easily dominated hand". Instead, it becomes a gambling hand, one where you might be a 70/30 dog or worse, but if you're not, you could have a chance to double up and get out of that danger zone, instead of digging yourself deeper.

Harringtons book also gave a real good perspective on things to look for when playing against others, and what size bets are good for what situation etc. Not going to say I took everything he said and said "I am going to play that exactly the same way!" because I don't, sometimes you got to make a play unlike your norm when you think people are studying what you do and think they can predict what you got.

His book is sort of like taking an art class, sure it may teach you how to do something new, and at first you might do it the exact same way, but eventually it changes so it's your own style. I mean, if everyone made plays in these tourneys as harrington would, then a style like gus hansens would be very sucessful and would pick up a ton of pots against a bunch of tight conseratives.

IMO, he wrote some wonderful books, and I think they are good strategys and tactics and theorys if you did stick right to the book, but to become a better player, you must adapt, and keep learning.

Like Harrington says to vary your raise to keep people guessing. Well, I'd say 80% of the time I raise, its 3x standard raise. 10% its 2.5x, and the other 10% its 4-6x. Does that mean when I make a raise thats 5x I have a bad hand? Not necessarily, sometimes I might, sometimes I don't, but most of the time a standard raise suits me just fine. Makes it harder to read me based on bet sizes.

And sometimes I make a play that Harrington would probably scoff at, but I've found it works for me alot of the time. Like when I make my raise pf, then the flop hits and I am out of position, if I make a half pot raise, it might be half my chips. I'll make that raise sometimes, sometimes even on a stone cold bluff. Thinking players will look at that raise, and think I am trying to sweeten the pot before I enevitably go all in, and know no matter what, I am calling a reraise. Gets people to fold a better hand sometimes I am sure. Would I reccomend this play to a beginner? Hell no, if they don't apply reads, they are going to get into more trouble doing this than it helps them. But sometimes you got to go against the grain.