Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Interesting Article about El Cap and the a side bet about the TLB

[ QUOTE ]
but the disadvantage that those of us who don't multiplayer are faced with on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that was happening???? Were the players using ELC still playing under their OWN names??? IN THE SAME TOURNAMENTS????!!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe im just being willfully naive, but do you really think there is that much multi-accounting?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm basicallly a nobody in the online poker world and I know for fact that many of the big name online MTT players play multi accounts. Many will admit to playing multi accounts and then when you confront them they act like they did'nt know it was immoral.

Another issue which is disturbing to me is that many of these same players are in constant AOL instant messenger contact during these same tourneys. I'm sure theres some shady shiet going on.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe im just being willfully naive, but do you really think there is that much multi-accounting?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a real grasp on how much, but yes I think there's a fair amount of it going on. If 2,000 people turn out for WCOOP #1, would it really surprise you if 200 of them were additional accounts? I wouldn't be shocked if the number was actually much higher.

I've never done it, but I know of at least a few people that have. The fact that poker sites either don't or can't police the practice is tantamount to dangling candy in front of a maybe. I consider myself an ethical person and poker player, yet I could see why the temptation to play multiple accounts would be too strong to fade, if given the tools.

Also, I like the term "multiplayering." I coined it, and want to introduce it into the online poker lexicon. Whaddya say?

Edit: I realized I wrote "dangling candy in front of a maybe" but decided to leave it in.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but the disadvantage that those of us who don't multiplayer are faced with on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that was happening???? Were the players using ELC still playing under their OWN names??? IN THE SAME TOURNAMENTS????!!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that's what was happening in regards to team El Cap, since I have no idea.

But I'm sure that multiplayering goes on, and I think that's part of the issue that davidross was adressing in his post.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:32 AM

I would be fairly surprised (although in poker it would take an awful lot to shock me) if 10% of the field were additional accounts. To contemplate it being much higher than that is truly scary. Then you might legitimately be running the risk of having two accounts of the same player at the same table. That possibility is much more serious cheating than pretty much anything else i can think of. Interestingly the intention of a person who is multiplayering is probably not to actively collude and consolidate his chips in one of his names, but the fact that that possibility likely arises is quite scary.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:38 AM

I was the only one who played on my account.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:45 AM

Well Done!

Did you get the bounty money?
Old 09-04-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be fairly surprised (although in poker it would take an awful lot to shock me) if 10% of the field were additional accounts. To contemplate it being much higher than that is truly scary. Then you might legitimately be running the risk of having two accounts of the same player at the same table. That possibility is much more serious cheating than pretty much anything else i can think of. Interestingly the intention of a person who is multiplayering is probably not to actively collude and consolidate his chips in one of his names, but the fact that that possibility likely arises is quite scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this idea strike you: 20 dudes in an online cafe in the Ukraine all playing the same MTT.

I pulled the 10% figure out of my arse, but it's something I envisioned as a real possibility. I think the problem is somewhat more generally annoying than the specific potential for someone finding his two accounts at the same table. Even if that player somehow made sure to play his hands the exact way they would have played in a self-interested scenario, the fact remains that said player has a somewhat enormous advantage over anyone who only occupies one seat.

I haven't seen one online poker site come out and discuss security procedures to limit this practice; maybe it's because such policing would be effectively impossible and discussing it would merely highlight the inability of sites to thoroughly regulate its tournaments.

Then again, maybe it doesn't matter. Tournaments are ehuge crapshoots anyway, no matter how many players you put in.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:11 AM

I wish I could get this type of action on this ridiculous of a bet.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:33 AM

giga went behind bigslicks back and threw the month because he had a big chunk against himself

i dont know