Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 05:20 PM

Default I loved this hand... TT against a LAG and TAG.

This hand is from a month ago, but I recognize the TAG's handle and the LAG has been showing down crap in the other hands at this table, playing and raising pretty randomly. (He open-raised J2o from MP1 two hands ago)

I really like how I played this, so I need to be knocked down a notch or two.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG (LAG) raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 (TAG) 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG :#A500AF(LAG)/ calls, UTG+1 :#A500AF(TAG)/ calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
LAG checks, TAG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, LAG calls, TAG calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">LAG bets</font>, TAG folds, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">LAG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

-d
Old 06-03-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: I loved this hand... TT against a LAG and TAG.

when the TAG threebets with 6 players left to call preflop, that sets off alarms for me. but I guess his range is pretty large for that play, so a cap might be your only option here. postflop seems fairly standard. why not raise the turn or the river?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:36 PM

It's an iffy preflop call. If the TAG is a thinking player who's trying to take advantage of LAG's reckless raising, then I like your call, but anytime a TAG 3-bets preflop I'm thinking twice especially with a mediocre hand like TT. There's just too many hands that can beat you and the size of the pot will ensure most overcard hands get the proper odds to draw out on you, even if you were ahead on the flop.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:38 PM

This is okay. The TAG doesn't have to have a hand when he 3-bets preflop since there is a good chance that he is isolating the LAG. Postflop looks good, nice hand.

Brad
Old 06-03-2005, 05:41 PM

I suspect some will not like your pre-flop cap. I am not one of them. TAGs 3-bet is a standard isolation 3-bet play by a good player trying to isolate a LAG. The TAG has likely hand-picked this seat for that reason, and has lowered his 3-betting standards accordingly. Your TT is more than good enough here to call with, but with the cap, you declare "monster" and back the TAG down. Nice hand.

Jon
Old 06-03-2005, 05:42 PM

Preflop:
TAG could be (well probably is)raising to isolate with a wider range of hands then usual TAG 3-bet from that position. However I still think that his range is PP 88-AA
AJ-AK, KQs. Don't want to cook it up but I don't think you are in all that great a place against those hands. A few of them you crush but a few more you are way behind and a lot more you are almost even with. Anyway. Post flop is awesome, however I think that it is argueable that you could raise this river for value. Incredibly likely he is betting into you with a pair of nines
Old 06-03-2005, 05:58 PM

Seriously though does anyone else think it's a good idea to raise this river?
Old 06-03-2005, 06:02 PM

I like how you played it too. TAG is probably isolating here or else I fold the TT. but I think postflop is beautiful.

I assume you were betting if checked to on the river.

what's your plan on the river if TAG calls the turn?
Old 06-03-2005, 06:03 PM

I thought about it, and decided I am a huge wuss. I am interested in the idea and would like to suscribe to your newsletter
Old 06-03-2005, 06:05 PM

I'd love you more if you raised the river.