Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: The Bird Flu Pandemic

Tamiflu is manufactured by a Swiss company Roche
They've recently discontinued shipments to US claiming that they don't have enough production capacity to supply Europe in case of pandemic.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:01 PM

According to the CDC lecture I attended in 2004,
the easiest way for the H5N1 bird flu virus to mutate to human to human transmissible form is to acquire necessary genes from the regular human flu virus.
However, if thats how the mutation goes, human immune systems might not be completely defenseless. The CDC lecturer estimated best case body count in US from this pandemic at 200 thousand, provided there was enough effective anti-virals to cover 50% of population and the vaccine is developed in a month.
He put the odds of necessary mutation at ~30% per year, less if there is massive slaughter of infected poultry.
Also, just like in 1918 pandemics and the fizzled one in the 70s, the most probable final vector for the mutated virus will be pigs, which can host both the regular human virus and the H5N1 bird type, and have a greater chance of exposure because of pigs' proximity to poultry in Asia.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:22 PM

There's a lot of posts in this thread and I don't have time to read them all today so if what I say has been covered, sorry.

First, I think it is much ado about nothing if not a hoax to sell vaccinations. (Note to self: Buy stock in the vaccination companies...)

Seconds, if it does happen, it may be like the 1918 flu--most ly young people get wzxed. In that case goodbye internet poker [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot of posts in this thread and I don't have time to read them all today so if what I say has been covered, sorry.

First, I think it is much ado about nothing if not a hoax to sell vaccinations. (Note to self: Buy stock in the vaccination companies...)

Seconds, if it does happen, it may be like the 1918 flu--most ly young people get wzxed. In that case goodbye internet poker [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize vaccines are for viruses that have already been common in the human body. They don't have vaccinations for the H5N1 virus.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:57 PM

You young guys better multi-table like there's no tomorrow [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 07:26 AM

Through my mother (a doctor), I got a boatload of Tamiflu. I wonder if I should start selling it for a huge markup, as they are no longer shipping Tamiflu to the US.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:00 AM

who the fuk would you sell that to? if you find someone i'll be your manager.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:44 PM

I read it in newsweek... there are pictures in there just for you...and sorry you don't like my punctuation...i'm sure you'll get over it
Old 11-21-2005, 05:55 PM

http://themessthatgreenspanmade.blog...e-at-merc.html
Old 11-21-2005, 06:18 PM

remember how we were all supposed to die from anthrax too?