Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 03:25 PM

Default 87 gets aggressive with 2nd pair...

I have very little in the way of reads on the Villain, he's a bit loose (40+) and aggressive (18+) preflop, not much to go on post-flop.

3/6 Texas Hold'em Game Table (Limit) (6 max, 6 handed)

Hero is in BB with [ 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
4 folds, SB calls, Hero checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] (2 players, 2SB)
SB bets, Hero calls (?)

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] (2 players, 2 BB)
SB bets, Hero raises... (?)

Pot too small for a turn bluff? Is this a clear raise on the flop? Is this a good spot to take the free showdown? Does the raise generate more bluffing cards on the river?

-d
Old 07-23-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: 87 gets aggressive with 2nd pair...

IMO this is a clear raise on the flop. You're probably best, but your hand is very vulnerable to overcards. I think you should raise the flop, bet the turn when checked to, and if you think your opponent will let you get away with a value bet on the river go for that too.

I think there are also "meta game" considerations that are in play. Specifically, if you play like I do shorthanded, you'll frequently try to pick up small pots on the early streets with bluffs and semi-bluffs. However, if you are aggressive on the flop with nothing but slowplay or just call down when you have something, then your opponents will catch on if they are paying any attention. So for this reason you should play your good hands fast as well... and in a h/u pot, 2nd pair is a good hand.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:50 PM

If you did have a flush draw on the flop wouldn't you normally raise there and then semi-bluff any turn card? Would he know you would do that?

I would just call the turn.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:53 PM

I'd raise the flop for a few reasons. Theres a good chance you're ahead, you don't want him drawing too cheaply, I'm going to raise a lot of hands here. You gotta be sure you raise legitimate hands too.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:19 PM

Since no one else seemed to think of it, I'll chime in here and say raise the flop.