Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: If There Is No God

[ QUOTE ]
This suggests that our instinct is not developed to the point of being stronger than our reasoning or our emotions, but there is still no mass suicide amongst atheists. Why? Where are their convictions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe one of the most ignorant statements I have read in this forum to date.

An atheists conviction is to live at all cost because there is nothing after death. How does mass suicide jive with that?

A more interesting question is why don't all theists that believe in heaven kill themselves? Are you aware that there is no place in the bible that says if you commit suicide you won't go to heaven. But since they did not think about that when they first wrote the bible they had to change the interpretation of some of the passages in the bible to prevent people from killing themselves. 'Thou shalt not kill' was not referring to suicide. But I have heard people argue that means if you do you won't go to heaven.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

understanding of how to measure spirituality or morality

[/ QUOTE ]

If you measure something you do so by a standard. Measurement in morality is by a moral standard.

[ QUOTE ]

No; if math exists with or without God, that does not necessarily exclude the possibility of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

I define God as the Being Who existed before anything else and created everything else that exists. If anything else exists apart from God's creating activity He isn't God. To posit math as self-existent is to deny God.

[ QUOTE ]

Just because you or I can't determine it empirically at present

[/ QUOTE ]

You can never determine morality empirically, by definition. Morality is "ought". Ought can't be measured scientifically.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:25 PM

I am not saying that Christianity is the truth, just the most logical in relation to the other options. Its a matter of sample size. Buddism? One man saw something. Islam? One man saw something. Mormonism? You get my point. What I have the most trouble with is the originiation of humans. That cannot have come from a textbook scientific process.

Indy
Old 10-13-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not saying that Christianity is the truth, just the most logical in relation to the other options. Its a matter of sample size. Buddism? One man saw something. Islam? One man saw something. Mormonism? You get my point. What I have the most trouble with is the originiation of humans. That cannot have come from a textbook scientific process.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Sample size?? There are far more non-christians than christians. One man started Buddism, Islam. What about christianity? One man - Jesus? Since you, in your infinite wisdom, have trouble understanding the origin of man, then it must be wrong.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:34 PM

No what I mean is that thousands of people saw Jesus in the streets doing stuff and wrote it down. Muhammad went off into a cave and thought he might have seen something. Then he goes home and gets further validation from his wife that he did. Then he goes on to use force to spread his ideas and becomes a powerful, and abusive, world leader. Not too many people freely committed themselves to the core message that is Islam in the beginning.

Indy
Old 10-13-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No what I mean is that thousands of people saw Jesus in the streets doing stuff and wrote it down. Muhammad went off into a cave and thought he might have seen something. Then he goes home and gets further validation from his wife that he did. Then he goes on to use force to spread his ideas and becomes a powerful, and abusive, world leader. Not too many people freely committed themselves to the core message that is Islam in the beginning.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Thousands??? Wrote it down??? Most of the bible was written long after Jesus' death by a handful of prophets. You are taking the word of a few men 2000 years ago and accepting everything they wrote as truthful. That's REAL logical.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

It says in the Koran that their so-called "ala" tells Muhammad to basiclly kill everyone who opposes you. There are other dicussions and theories that the Catholics actually started Islam in order to take the holy land back from the Jews.. well as history would show that back fired.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thousands??? Wrote it down??? Most of the bible was written long after Jesus' death by a handful of prophets. You are taking the word of a few men 2000 years ago and accepting everything they wrote as truthful. That's REAL logical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually most of the bible was written before Jesus, it was first put together and printed after Jesus.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:04 PM

Ok forget the christiainity thing, perhaps it is a hoax. I cant be sure. But the supernatural creation of humans does make sense. I cannot bring myself to fathom that we were invented my cell evolution.

Indy
Old 10-13-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually most of the bible was written before Jesus, it was first put together and printed after Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was talking about christianity which implies the new testament - NO?