Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 10-16-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: TV poker commentating is AWFUL.

[ QUOTE ]
jags r a fluke

[/ QUOTE ]

Jaguars: 4-2
Patriots: 3-3

Wear a Jags jersey on the show tomorrow! Show your support!
Old 10-16-2005, 10:00 PM

Seriously, you prolly don't have enough to do if you're worried about poker broadcasters. They are what they are. It amazes me, quite regulary come to think, about how many tools on this website get so worked up about stupid things. Poker is a GAME. Without a doubt you can make some serious coin playing it, nevertheless, it tis still a game. The math dweebs crack me up the most. A general disregard for money, a knack for noticing the details, and a desire to mix it up will go a long ways to making you a player. Now I'm ramblin'...
Anyways, another round for the house and I need to hit the crib.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, basically the only announcers we admit to liking are hockey announcers from Canada?

[/ QUOTE ]

And Vince Scully.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OOT. . . did anyone else notice Clement doing color commentary for Badminton during the Summer Olympics last time around? It was surreal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I remember them mentioning that Clement is a really good badminton player.

Is there any doubt that Gus Johnson is the best current play-by-play man in the NFL today? He's amazing.

And Rick Jeanneret is the best in the NHL by far. Anybody who's ever heard the incredible clip during a Sabres-Devils brawl about a decade ago when Scott Stevens jumped Rob Ray will definitely agree. It sounded like RJ was on the verge of jumping out of the press box to get to Stevens.

Nobody is worse than Michael Kay on YES or the Sterling/Waldman combo on WCBS. If you only listened to them, you'd think the Yankees would have gone 162-0 if they could only catch a couple breaks. And Jeter is the greatest player in the history of baseball and A-Rod is a close second.

And the worst poker commentator ever (to get back on topic) has to be Dick Van Patten. Nobody ever raises without the nuts in DVP's world.

DZ
Old 10-17-2005, 02:08 AM

I think Gus Johnson is average at best.

Softcore - you're correct about Buck's overrecation. I think Buck's lack of professionalism there was more appalling to me than the Moss moon itself.

I actually like McCarver though....and feel like I must be the only one on earth who actuall does.

Joe Morgan is far less insightful.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know if Lon and Norman are actually there watching the table in live play, but to me, the commentary seems to reflect a knowledge of the results. And yes, I know they edit later on and already know the winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember in the 2003 wsop main event, sam grizzle cracks a joke on phil hellmuth and norman chad laughed so loud the players heard him?

[ QUOTE ]
It is more along the lines of a poignant, Rain Man-esque drama with Norman Chad in the Dustin Hoffman role. Instead of card-counting and "definitely Wapner", though, it's ex-wife jokes and "Josh Arieh is a dick". Lon McEachern fills in admirably in the Tom Cruise part, exasperated with his charge and his behavior, but doing his best to keep him in line, and evidencing that he does love and care about him, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great analogy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 06:07 AM

I am a diehard Yankee fan and I can not listen to any of their trash announcing
When the yankees play the mets that game is on wfan with the tv on mute
In the playoffs ( good job guys) espn radio is on.
Joe Buck sucks.Tim Mccarver is crap now he used to be great. Suprising that [censored] Mike Piazza did a very good job for ESPN this year.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:22 AM

I actually think it might be funny to have Madden doing it. Besides stating the obvious (Oh well you see what he needs to do right here is collect the chips from the other player without the other player giving them up) he might actually through a "BOOM" in there every once in a while. Besides letting him use that little yellow pen on highlights and replays would be worth it as well.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:51 PM

Do you get these shows in the US?

Pard Parkinson on Party Poker Million
Paul Phillips on World Heads Up Championship
Barney Boatman on Late Night Poker

All three of these do an excellent job.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't they import Bob Cole from Canada?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wish they would. Then we in Canada wouldn't have to listen to him anymore.