Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Raymer

[ QUOTE ]

He raised 20x BB with his AA and farha called with 33. I guess next time he should just push all in with blinds at 25/50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or he should raise to 200 or so, and not be compelled to lose his entire stack with an overpair.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sammy Farha is playing even better than Raymer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Plus Farha gets more girls

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD
Old 10-12-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im not sure he played it completely wrong. you are 7 -1 to make the set. he got paid off about 10 - 1. you can make these plays when the blinds are small but if the stacks are not deep enough cant make that play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! Farha knew that such an obscene raise probably meant something like KK or AA...what other hand would an amateur who raises 20x the BB have? Farha also knew that the guy would take the hand all the way down, so it was a good play on his part. I think calling with the 2 9 suited wasn't bad also, simply to give him a really unpredictable image and, of course, his post-flop play is so good that he can play around with those kind of hands.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:14 AM

yeah the 50 or 100 with 2 9 on the button is fine when the blinds are this low. probably with higher blinds should not do it. i dont how seriously farha takes the tourneys. i think hes alot more interested in the cash games.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:51 AM

IIRC, it was something like 300, but there were multiple callers which gave him great odds to call in position with a hand thats quite likely to not be sharing cards with anybody else (though it was i think). he was basically playing the great odds to see a flop and then play quality post-flop poker from there with. Not horrible IMO.

Remember also he knocked out two guys in the first couple hands, so his stack was 3x bigger than the rest of the table. Couple that fact with an aggressive player and you have a situation where it will be very hard to push him out of any pot where he has decent position.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im not sure he played it completely wrong. you are 7 -1 to make the set. he got paid off about 10 - 1. you can make these plays when the blinds are small but if the stacks are not deep enough cant make that play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! Farha knew that such an obscene raise probably meant something like KK or AA...what other hand would an amateur who raises 20x the BB have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anthony Curtis is a very smart guy, and I wonder if he raised to 1000 thinking someone would be suspicious of a massive overbet and call with some ridiculous hand like, oh, I dunno, 33.

I still think Farha's preflop call is pretty bad. People seem to be making all these assumptions to justify loose preflop calls. What if he doesn't manage to take AC's entire stack when the AA is no good? Plus even if Farha hits his set, he can still lose, you know.

All that being said, Anthony Curtis looked drugged, so who knows.

Also, based solely on the edited and limited TV coverage, I think Negreanu played better than anyone else I've seen on TV.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:03 AM

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with him.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think Farha's preflop call is pretty bad. People seem to be making all these assumptions to justify loose preflop calls. What if he doesn't manage to take AC's entire stack when the AA is no good?

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, then he only wins 1000 (say if AC check-folds his overpair on the flop LOL). Or if he misses his set his stack goes from 22K to 21K. Big whoop. The risk/reward is certainly there to make this a decent call. However there is no way to justify the terrible way curtis played the hand. The huge preflop raise? OK, not a great play but not terrible. The flop bet is absolutely abysmal though.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, based solely on the edited and limited TV coverage, I think Negreanu played better than anyone else I've seen on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]
He played well but it wasn't exactly brain surgery. Check behind w/ KK after the top card pairs the board? Yeah, obviously. Check-fold a straight when the flush AND boats get there? Wow really tough lay down (<-- sarcasm). Come on now. I play those hands the same way.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I still think Farha's preflop call is pretty bad. People seem to be making all these assumptions to justify loose preflop calls. What if he doesn't manage to take AC's entire stack when the AA is no good?

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, then he only wins 1000 (say if AC check-folds his overpair on the flop LOL). Or if he misses his set his stack goes from 22K to 21K. Big whoop. The risk/reward is certainly there to make this a decent call. However there is no way to justify the terrible way curtis played the hand. The huge preflop raise? OK, not a great play but not terrible. The flop bet is absolutely abysmal though.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He played well but it wasn't exactly brain surgery. Check behind w/ KK after the top card pairs the board? Yeah, obviously. Check-fold a straight when the flush AND boats get there? Wow really tough lay down (<-- sarcasm). Come on now. I play those hands the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you have almost all your chips in the pot and are incredibly shortstacked? These laydowns were very very good in the heat of the moment for his tournament life.

ESPECIALLY since he knows that Farha is incredibly aggressive and is known to put a lot of moves on people.