Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Moving between limits - question for top players

I talk with a number of you via PM/IM and find that many of you play stakes across the entire spectrum. I mean I know a few of you are rolled for the biggest games on the internet yet sometimes dabble in a little 2/4, or regularly play 5/10 even though you are rolled for 50/100. If a game is short or full or has good players, tight players, bad players, it doesn't matter. Some of you will even have 1 2/4 table up, 2 5/10s, a 10/20 and a 25/50, or any other combination. One day you could be playing 50/100 and win 20k, the next day you are up $20 at 2/4.

It is impossible for me to do this. I do not understand how you people can do this. If I am a regular 5/10 player, I find it very difficult to concentrate and take lower limits seriously. Once I move to a level, it's very hard for me to move down to a level even if it's a good game because the money (win or lose) becomes insignificant. When I started playing seriously online, it was impossible for me to play .25/.5 with friends, I couldn't take it seriously, and that was when I was playing 1/2 online. Now I couldn't even think of sitting in a 2/4 game because I can only win or lose $400...I have a feeling this is not going to end. While I am competitive and like to win, the money/stakes is also a major factor. I find that I grow a tolerance/immunity to the amounts of money after playing for so long. I won't be able to play as much this year, so this will likely go away (or worse, turn into needing to make a huge score since I can't play as often), but even this summer after playing 5/10 for weeks straight many hours each day, winning or losing $1000 started to not feel as much as it once did. When making decisions/playing I am only thinking in bet amounts, but at the end of the day I am not satisfied with amounts of money I used to be satisfied with. I know a lot of people go through this and it's normal and sometimes it's just how it is, but I can't help but feel that I would improve as a player if I had some way to move over this hump.

Further question, This is obviously going to be way too general of a statement, but of most of the players I know - The ones who can go from 2/4 to 50/100 and back, are better, more solid, winning players. Why do you think this is?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Moving between limits - question for top players

[ QUOTE ]
Further question, This is obviously going to be way too general of a statement, but of most of the players I know - The ones who can go from 2/4 to 50/100 and back, are better, more solid, winning players. Why do you think this is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because their play is unaffected by the money involved.

FWIW I think I am in the same camp as you.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:03 AM

I'm the exact same way as you. I can't take lower limits seriously, and I think it would be really difficult for me to learn a new game because I wouldn't care about the money if I was playing 3/6 limit.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:08 AM

Great subject on which to post. I have primarily played NL 5/10 and 10/20 for the past six months, after playing the old party 200 and pokerroom 2/5 before that. Starting to play shorthanded the past month and a half, i've been dropped to the party 6 max 2/4 and 3/6.

The money seemed oddly small at first, now it seems significant again. It's the opposite of money losing its significance.

Additionally, I'm really trying to focus on stategy and BB's rather than dollar amounts, as if I'm a more disciplined version of Worm taking cigs off the brothas in the the big house.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:09 AM

who plays 50/100 and 2/4?

if i play lower limits, im pretty much gonna play the same game, but i have zero ambition to do so because its just pointless.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:27 AM

I followed you until this:

[ QUOTE ]
as if I'm a more disciplined version of Worm taking cigs off the brothas in the the big house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you really just say that?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:28 AM

I know 2 off the top of my head that play 50/100 and 5/10 regularly....you do too. Maybe they could weigh in here.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know 2 off the top of my head that play 50/100 and 5/10 regularly....you do too. Maybe they could weigh in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, whenever i take a 20,000$ beat it always helps to play the lower stakes to bounc back.

nope, the post above wasnt directed at me
Old 09-15-2005, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is impossible for me to do this. I do not understand how you people can do this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-15-2005, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I followed you until this:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as if I'm a more disciplined version of Worm taking cigs off the brothas in the the big house.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you really just say that?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, yep i said it...you think winning 400 dollars is nothing, try working all day for 42 newports.