Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-01-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Leg muscle twitching

For the past month or so, my the muscle in my leg has been twitching at random intervals. It spasms for about 10-15 seconds, and then goes away. Anybody know if this is normal? FWIW, I use to run cross-country for a year or so, but I haven't seriously run for 3-4 years. Also, I have very tight muscles. I have a very hard time touching my toes, and I don't stretch regularly. Any knowledgeable information on the subject would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Leg muscle twitching

this happens to me from time to time, sometimes I can see it twitching. it also happens to my forearm, right below the elbow. I'm pretty flexible though, at least I can put my palms flat on the floor so I don't think it has to do with your inflexibility
Old 08-01-2005, 10:00 PM

You've got 1 month!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:32 PM

It's totally normal. Don't go searching Google for it or you'll get completely freaked out, but it's a very common and benign thing. Pretty much everyone gets 'em (most people don't notice) but some worse than others.

If you're really worried I can give you some websites to go look at, but my advice would be just to forget about it.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:36 PM

Nice "glory days" avatar, then. I was horrible at cross country, so I quit in favor of concentrating on things that I was good at.

I twitch too, and I doubt it's anything.

~D
Old 08-02-2005, 12:01 AM

I get this. It's funny, sometimes I don't get it for many months, and then other times I get it every day for quite a while or numerous times a day.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because of a somehow overloaded nervous system. I have virtually no caffeine anymore and I used to be a cola addict, and now I don't get those twitches hardly ever. But back in the cola days, I'd get them a fair amount.

Another funny thing -- if I think about it and focus on the muscle, I can make the twitching extend itself almost indefinitely, or sometimes speed up. But I can't seem to make it slow down or stop very often or well. Sometimes deeply relaxing the part will help -- and quite often it won't. Yet as I said, I can amp it up at will, and even get a dormant area that was twitching a little while ago to burst into twitches again.

The thing has gotten me kind of nervous before, but I can't recall anyone saying it was anything serious, including my doctor.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:14 AM

Have you been under more stress than usual lately? My quads seem to twitch when I'm under stress.