Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Cash Game Theory

[ QUOTE ]
he's a pro then going home with a 25% profit every day

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody wins everyday. And if he's finishing up 25% 3 out of 4 days and busting the others, then it ain't such a great business model. The OP most likely has a bad case of small sample size and selective memory.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:44 PM

I have experienced the same situation in both live games and onlline. I attribute some of my poorer results after initial wins to the fact that NL tables seem to sift through bad players relatively quickly, and if you end up at a table where most of the players have been there for a long time, and no new fish have arrived, there is a good chance the game increased in difficulty. However, I believe that 99% of this phenomenon (in my experience) can be attributed to a change in the way I am playing. I think I often switch from tight/aggressive to loose/aggressive. This is purely psychological and is something I definately need serious work on. Somehow the chips become worth less to me once i have "WON" them. Switching to loose/aggressive in a game full of solid/patient/counteraggressive players can put the hurt on you fast.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:00 PM

Its not worht you time playing if you risk 4gs and win 1! If you start to loose r u going to put the entire 4 back into play or r u gonna quit after 1? Then if u are, whu sit with 4.
When I play, I double up or go home. I double up about 80% of the time even thought it may take me 6-8 hrs at a more advanced table.

Think about what u were doing, or ur personal habits are.
Do you get bored easy and need action? Have you loosened up? I read in more than one book that 1 hr is the average time a players A game can hold up but i think its BS. Slow yourself down after your already up! Tighten up more if you have to. If you stick to AA,KK,QQ,AK,AQs and play agressively you might not play a ton but you will surely profit, the blinds will only kill about 5% of your pots!
Every once in a while play a suited connector the same way. this will keep ur game unpredictable and winning throughout even 24 hr sessions (yea i have done it, and no im not bragging). Once u get a grasp for this align ur later play more with ur earlier play to put ur game into long sessions profitably.
CDL larmorec@msu.edu
Old 07-22-2005, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Cash Game Theory REVISITED WITH NEW COMMENTS BY ORIGINAL POSTER

whoever responded to my earlier post, thank you. Now that I have digested the information and anaylyzed myself and my game much more rigoursly, I have come to a conclusion. The players that I play with, in a full game of 9 players, I have already played with 5-9 of them already. SO I THINK that they dont pick up tells over time since I have played with them soo many times before and thus I dont think its a reason why I am losing after couple of hrs. I am extremely confident in my game, and I like to think that I am unpredictable. HOwever, here is my problem and this is where I need help. I now believe that in the beginning I do play my A game b/c its really impt for me to win some chips early for various reasons. HOwever, once I "WIN" these chips, I dont treat it like money. I play loose, make some questionable calls etc b/c I am now up. I turned 2k to 18k in one session in this game, and now I am not content with only winning a grand. When I win, I am going for it all, a huge night. BUT I know this is a wrong mentatlity but I cant help myself. Because right now I consider myself tight-aggresive player who is much more agressive than the avg player...if I sense weakness I will go after it, which can get me in trouble.

So basically I nee help/advise from all you forum posters on how to play titer...how do I get the gamble out of me?

Also, If I were to only play premium hands and suited connecotrs and small pairs in late position, what can be a reasonalbe hourly rate for that style of play for those stakes (NL 600, 10-20 blinds)?

Thank you everyone for your help,
An aspiring pro
Old 07-22-2005, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Cash Game Theory REVISITED WITH NEW COMMENTS BY ORIGINAL POSTER

Why is it important to win chips early? You could have just bought those chips.

Anyways, people say you remember your losses more than you remember you wins. Its true. Another thing is that those sessions where you go up then end up losing stick out in your mind, because at first you are so happy you are winning, then when you lose, that happiness goes away PLUS you have to deal with losing. You think to yourself "if I would have just left at x o'clock, I woulda won."
Another reason this form of selective memory is prevalent is that it allows you to ignore your results. You look at your "poker diary" and it says you're a loser in a game, but you just say "well - I was ahead on these sessions"
Thoughts like these are falacious and will lead you on the wrong track of thinking about poker.
You need to be able to know when/where you play your best poker and you need to be able to separate yourself from how much you are up or down in the middle of a session. After that, your main concern will be "am I a winner in this game."
Learning how to answer that question will go a lot further than trying to set artificial stop-wins, stop-losses, or stop-hours.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you should be willing to play as long as you have a positive expectation at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is limit advice.

I think this is bad advice for no limit. Let me explain.

Lets say that your bankroll allows you to gamble about 10k on a single hand. You buy in for 3k, and then you double up twice. All of a sudden, you have 12k, but by winning, you've ended up playing outside of your bankroll!

This is assuming that someone else has you covered.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Lets say that your bankroll allows you to gamble about 10k on a single hand. You buy in for 3k, and then you double up twice. All of a sudden, you have 12k, but by winning, you've ended up playing outside of your bankroll!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are buying in for 3k and your BR is 10K, you are SEVERELY underrolled.

I personally like playing with a big stack, and it seems OP does also, but the key is to continue to play your A game. I believe quitting after posting a win of X for each session is very poor practice. You should play for as long as the game is good and you are feeling/playing well.