Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-21-2005, 07:00 AM

Default A question about smaller pairs

I'm just recently moving up to the first midstakes (\o/) And I was kinda wonderin'... It has been pretty easy to make constant profit up to NL100, so here's my question about the not so high pairs. Ranging from, well 22 to 99 or TT...

So let's say you're in BB and CO or Button makes it 4 BB. Will you call the extra 3 BB every day, every night, even if you assume you're behind against a bigger pair in hopes to hit a set. You get huge payments for sets in the lower limits, but I'm not 100% sure whether it's worth it. And what if you're on button (ie. in position, are you willing to call the 4 BB)?

Obviously the implied odds go down as the stakes go up as people are capable of making better laydowns.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Re: A question about smaller pairs

i re-raise 88 and down here frequently, rarely raise 99-JJ thought (better to see cheap showdown i think, could be wrong though). against a villain who is agressive pre and postflop, i think with 22-77 it goes like so:

raise > fold > call.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:08 AM

Reraising small pairs, eh. To gain deceptive value so you can steal pots on dangerous flops?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:11 AM

to make villain fold, to make him not want to steal from me in the future and because small pairs are easy as hell to play postflop (although i 90% of the time continue on the flop).
Old 12-21-2005, 07:24 AM

It seems like when I do this the villain calls a lot, and then I'm usually putting out a large continuation bet into a scary board/overcards with my small pair just praying not to get called. Didn't like it too much.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like when I do this the villain calls a lot, and then I'm usually putting out a large continuation bet into a scary board/overcards with my small pair just praying not to get called. Didn't like it too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love reraising preflop. Success rate of my continuation bets is sick high, and you take it down a lot too.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dont do it unless villain is stealing often, in which case you should be getting called on the flop significantly less than 1/3 of the time unless villain is calling with any pair any draw.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:12 AM

This is what I like to do - though I doubt anybody would agree with it.
Out of position - I like to raise with the small pairs pre-flop, since this will give me a chance of stealing it by being the first to bet on a <=J-high flop.
In position, I'm more likely to just call and only play from the flop onwards if I hit that set.

I admire those who reraise with a small pair in late position. I'm curious what you guys do when you miss the flop and someone bets into you?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:19 AM

It sounds like most of you are talking about defending blinds, and I wanted to say something about the implied odds. I don't think implied odds are much worse at mid-stakes. If the villian has an overpair (AA/KK/QQ especially), raised from a steal position, and you flop a set, I think you will make a lot of money. The problem is, most of the time, the villain won't have a big pair. So if you flop a set, you might not be paid off because villain doesn't have a big pair, or you don't flop a set, and the villain may not have a pair, but this is a tough decision to be in.

I guess what I'm saying, is the implied odds to hit a set are still usually there if you can put villain on a big pair, and then you shouldn't raise preflop. Try and hit the set and get paid off. But if villain is likely stealing, reraise preflop so you won't be in such a tough position after the flop, and to stop him from stealing.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So let's say you're in BB and CO or Button makes it 4 BB. Will you call the extra 3 BB every day, every night, even if you assume you're behind against a bigger pair in hopes to hit a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are rarely up against a top hand, and usually won't get paid if you do hit your set. Its not a good idea to set mine vs a co/button steal.