Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Texas +7 v USC Natl Title Rose Bowl picks/discussion

OK...I haven't placed the bet yet, but I'm leaning heavily towards Texas +7 v USC. I'm waiting to make sure there are no injuries before the game; it's a long ways away. I'll post the full analysis later, but I want the discussion to get going already. I cannot wait for this game.

My thinking is that the Texas D will be able to stop USC a few times more than USC will stop Texas, something like a 40-38 game. My fear is Vince Young's penchant for turnovers.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Texas +7 v USC Natl Title Rose Bowl picks/discussion

Well, I've been thinking Texas is just as good as USC, so of course I like Texas.

The thing is, if Texas were really as good as USC, could the book really hang +7? I doubt it. So I must be wrong.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:02 AM

I'm with both of you. Texas +7 (or Texas moneyline) looks as good as the ALDS did.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:02 AM

I expect lots of money to come in on Texas, as it did with Oklahoma last year (you will have people saying they cannot believe Texas is getting 7 points). Obviously the money flow will fluctuate depending upon how Big 12 and Pac 10 teams do in bowl games.

However, Texas has played a VERY soft schedule, largely because the Big 12 sucks this year. They are very overrated nationally IMO. My plan is to wait until closer to gametime and then bet USC.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:41 AM

it's already coming in it looks like. pinny has texas +6.5 (+102)

I won't touch this game at all. Maybe if it drops down a little more, but these two teams are really enigmas. They look off-kilter one week, and completely dominant the next.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:35 AM

Can anyone say Miami vs. Ohio State 02? I think USC is explosive but suspect on D... they don't always look so good.... why not take Texas su? USC is pretty hyped too, with their superstars... could this be like Rams vs. Patriots?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I've been thinking Texas is just as good as USC, so of course I like Texas.

The thing is, if Texas were really as good as USC, could the book really hang +7? I doubt it. So I must be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...that's the way I think when I pick the NFL

I'm surprised you didn't use sagarin to point out Texas is predicted as a better team here with more wins against top 30 teams.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:56 PM

i'm thinking that vince young may have problems with rustiness after a month off. doesn't seem like a classic QB. his running ability will be there ala ohio state game, but i wonder if his great passing game will be there... somewhat similar question for leinart, but leinart is more of a classic throwing QB and matt isn't as vital to USC offense.

i just don't think USC used bush that much in alot of games. national championship game will have huge doses of reggie bush if necessary.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm waiting to make sure there are no injuries before the game; it's a long ways away

[/ QUOTE ]

I know nothing about college football so I won't comment on the bet itself.

It does however strike me that if injuries are random, then having the bet earlier is slightly good for you if you are on the underdogs.

I'm assuming that if both sides lost their best four players, the game would be more level and extrapolating from there.

Lori
Old 12-04-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Anything under -7, I take USC without a thought

Texas may not be as overranked as the Sooners were last year, but I haven't seen much from the Longhorns to make me think they're within a touchdown of the defending champs, BCS rankings or not.