Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 04:00 PM

Default AA beginner question

Hi all. I am a fairly new player (~600 hands) and am trying to play fairly tight but aggressive poker. I feel like I am succeeding well but I often have trouble playing the good pre-flop hands (AA-QQ mostly) when the flop doesn't hit me.

My line of thinking here was that after the flop, the only three hands that had me beat were KK, QQ, and KQ. Not a great read on villain - 26% VPIP, 2% PFR, 1.30 AF after 50 hands.

Please, help critique my play - do you think I played this well?

Party Poker 0.15/0.30 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.46 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Villain 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.23 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, Villain calls.

River: (14.23 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Villain calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, Villain calls.

Final Pot: 19.23 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Villain has Kd Kh (three of a kind, kings).
Hero has Ac Ad (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Villain wins 19.23 BB. </font>
Old 12-02-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: AA beginner question

3-bet PF. cap the flop mostly. Though waiting for the turn isn't bad. Call the river. Don't post results

3-bet preflop. start with that...

i'd have just called the river the way you played it.

Oh boy do I get to be first to say raise preflop?!?!?

Never ever ever let AA go unraised preflop. Raise/reraise/cap. My AA stats have 98% PFR and the only reason it's not 100% is because sometimes it's capped to me.

Anyway, I'm capping this flop and don't slow down unless someone 3-bets the turn.

edit: damn, not first [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 04:04 PM

I think you need to cap this flop ... if villian bets into on the turn it's a tough call, but I would probably just call down, esp. since UTG could easily be in there on a flush draw (if you had the Ah, easy turn raise I think).

As far as how you played it ... the vilian donk-bet scared me &amp; makes me think retarded 2-pair or a set of 2s ... or just a slow-play on his flush ... either way I'm thinking it's something that can beat a single pair &amp; i don't mind just making an overcall.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Never ever ever let AA go unraised preflop. Raise/reraise/cap. My AA stats have 98% PFR and the only reason it's not 100% is because sometimes it's capped to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-02-2005, 04:07 PM

IMHO cap flop and call river.
On the flop UTG could be reraising with Kh xh. On the river you seem to beat by either a flush or KQ.

Edit: Of course raise preflop 99% of the time. You can maybe limp UTG on a loose table and then reraise.
Why is it important? You want to let others pay for calling with worse cards than yours. You don't want 9 limpers and a coordinated board.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:20 PM

The hand can't be properly analyzed because you didn't 3-bet preflop. If you had 3-bet and he had capped, we would have a lot more information about his hand, and putting in multiple bets on this flop would not have been right.

There really is no reason for anyone to comment any further on the hand aside from "3-bet preflop." It changes the whole hand after that.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:41 PM

69? wtf?

That said, 3-bet preflop. Raise/call flop is okay, cap is fine too. Call the turn, call the river. Turn raise is silly after you didn't cap the flop.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:48 PM

*grunch*
[ QUOTE ]
and am trying to play fairly tight but aggressive poker

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, A.
UTG calls, UTG+1 raises, 1 fold, Hero calls...

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's your main problem. Raise and cap pre-flop with the best possible hand. Don't be cute and "slow-play" when you are beginning.

Flop: Cap the flop as well. You need to take control of this hand. Also, it might get UTG out of there. He's likely just fishing or is on the flush draw.

Turn: well played. With the UTG just calling, I don't think he's got the flush here.

River: No idea what UTG is doing here by leading out. Villain is obviously worried about the flush.

{looked at results}
Well, there's nothing you could have done to get him out of that hand.