Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Luckbox on full power

Here is an iteresting hand from an $11 SNG on party. Early in the tourny, blinds are still small. I get an AK clubs in EP+1. Standard raise with one caller. Flop comes out 10 J Q of clubs. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Sweet, I have "THE NUTZ"! and I think this must be a good time for a slow play, so I check. Caller checks. Turn comes out Kh, I check. Caller Checks. River comes As.

At this point I think wow, could I have gotten any luckier. Straight on the board, this guy is going to think any bet I throw out is a bluff to try to buy the board straight. So... ALL IN. He calls and sees "THE NUTZ". Awesome hand.

I do have a question on this hand though. Should I have tried to induce a bet sooner or by some other method than Check, Check? I know the result was good, but not sure if the method was the most appropriate. Any other solid method for getting an opponent to put their chips in the middle? Is this totally situation dependent?
Thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Luckbox on full power

You have no question. You just wanted to brag, admit it.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:44 PM

I think I would have thrown out a small value bet on the turn.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:45 PM

I wouldn't slowplay. Slowplaying works against aggro opponents, of which there are, like, none at the 11s. If he did bluff, it probably would have been a minibet, or close to one.

Your edge at the 11s comes from their calling big raises preflop with Q9 and calling off their whole stack when they hit a 9-high flop. Not from them bluffing too much.

The only reason to slowplay this is for your opponent to catch up, but it's too likely that he hit that flop in some way (99, 1010, JJ, QQ, JQ, KQ, AQ, AK, K10, KJ = all possible).

EDIT: If he had the lead going into the flop, I like the slowplay, though.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:52 PM

i dont play much sng's. but i don't like the slow play here. i think they are going to call you, to either keep you honest, or try to catch up. I'm an aggressive player and don't like checking unless its for a really good reason. If you oppenet is passive, checking to him will allow it to get checked through. Obviously you have 100% equity here. If you bet a little and s/he's smart, he might smell a rat and fold, if you bet big, it might seem like a defensive bet, and call so you don't steal the pot away from him.

my 2 cents. I'm still trying to grasp the nuances of nl sng's.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:55 PM

I think betting the flop is terrible. Let him see a turn and see if he catches something that makes him stay around interested. Then bet out on the turn, but not too aggressively.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think betting the flop is terrible. Let him see a turn and see if he catches something that makes him stay around interested. Then bet out on the turn, but not too aggressively.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of hands he can have that don't have a club. A half pot-sized bet gets called by so many hands here that fold any club turn.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:11 PM

I'll admit, it was a little bit to brag.

However this hand happened a week ago and I've just been pondering since. If the board had not fallen the way it did, how would I have gotten money out of him. So often, the nuts don't get paid off at this level, maybe for the reasons that flyingmoose mentioned.

So, regardless of what hand I had, assume you had the nuts on the flop. What is the best way to get paid off? Do you try to stack your opponent, knowing that it will often fail, but when it succeeds you will be set up nicely for the money? Or, do you try to guesstimate what the max bet the opponent will pay off?
Old 08-18-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll admit, it was a little bit to brag.

However this hand happened a week ago and I've just been pondering since. If the board had not fallen the way it did, how would I have gotten money out of him. So often, the nuts don't get paid off at this level, maybe for the reasons that flyingmoose mentioned.

So, regardless of what hand I had, assume you had the nuts on the flop. What is the best way to get paid off? Do you try to stack your opponent, knowing that it will often fail, but when it succeeds you will be set up nicely for the money? Or, do you try to guesstimate what the max bet the opponent will pay off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Generic nuts are a TOTALLY different question.

If your nuts is KK on a K72 flop, a check is 100% on the mark, because they need to catch up.

This flop is one that they probably already hit, and there are many potential action killing cards in the deck, depending on what your opponent has.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:21 PM

Reads can really help here. If you are usually firing continuation bets on the flop then you need to do your normal thing, but when the board can give a flush alot of people stiff up.

If you hit a flop of J94r with JJ and you are always doing a continuation bet, checking will seem suspicious so I would fire 1/3 or 1/2 of the pot here.