Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-29-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Stepping down and admitting defeat

I've dropped down in limits EVERY time I've moved up.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:39 PM

Next year I'm vowing to have my Christmas shopping 90% done by September. Lady luck seems to kick me in the junk every November.

I'm also admitting that da feets are for stepping down...........or stepping up for that matter, depends on who da feets belong to.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:07 AM

"...maann I cut you so bad, you gon' wish I no cut you"
Those are some bad roaches.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This may be the case for me, but I can tell you one thing: I wasn't playing any worse in the last 6-7k hands than I was the 10s of thousands before them. I think the strongest part of my game is keeping level-headed and not tilting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I almost hate to post this because it will inevitably spark a flurry of "NO YOUR WRONG", but you were tilting. Not admitting you tilt is also a big problem because the first step to overcoming it is accepting it and taking breaks when you feel it coming on. It is not possible to lose 1/3rd of your bankroll and not tilt.

Let me be the first person to say that I tilt and tilt pretty badly sometimes. I tilt when I get 5 dollar parking tickets. I tilt when I'm donking around in 5/10 and someone hits their straight flush draw to crack my wired pair of 2's on the river and it goes check check. As you move higher and higher tilt will affect you more and more because you're playing with more significant amounts of money, and it's something you aren't equipped to deal with. There have been times where I'll fire up 8 tables, only to have AA cracked on 7 seperate tables at the same time within 2 minutes. That's ok, I just take a break. And there are other times I take a bunch of bad beats, but I'm playing well and feeling well, so I'll get 5-6k hands in.

I've sweated people online and watched them make the most tilt-fueled plays and then try to justify it to me. Wow, just say "Oops, [censored], I tilted." and take a five minute break. Your winrate will thank you. Most people's reaction when I mention something like this is "Oh, well he obviously doesn't know me. That may apply to other people, but not me" followed by a summary of how they don't fall into this category. Whatever. I won't argue it. But you really should be aware of your emotional state at all times.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 09:47 AM

So are you guys dating or what?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Their characters probably got married on a WoW server.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-02-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the comments guys. It's reassuring that someone like Mbob is going through the same thing as me.

[ QUOTE ]
yah i agree... from your post it seems like you still have a 20k roll. youre a good player and shouldnt have trouble beating 10/20. i dont know why you are going to 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the confidence. I don't have doubt that I could beat 10/20 either. I just need a break from the varience. I'll probably spend a month at 5/10 and when I get some confidence back, I'll go back to 10/20.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in the same boat too. November was my first losing month this year. I did great in the three months prior, and started 20/40 in late October. I was actually winning, but at a low rate when I decided to step back to 15/30 for a while. There I dropped 90BB, and then moved to 10/20 where I dropped another 60BB or so.

I know this does not sound like a huge downswing, but it was just annoying the way it was happening. No big losses, just lots of small ones (10-30BB each) and only 3-4 winning days out of the last 20.

I'll probably do a month of 5/10 also, and re-evaluate in January. On problem I have is that I'm going to take a big hit around April 15. Once the end of the year comes I need to exclude that chunk from my bankroll and living expense money, so I don't mind being a little conservative at this point.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately tongni is out of my league. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 04:04 AM

nice post. im in the same boat. 6 weeks ago i was playing 10/20 6max, now im down to 3/6 6 max. no shame in reevaluating your game/rebuilding confidence/roll.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like November is kind of like re-living the mass-downswing that much of 2+2 had back in January.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, good ol' January '05. I curse that month! Luckily I haven't followed the trend with the November downswing. I actually had a kickass Nov with a huge heater right in the middle. I did have a little downswing towards the end though. Nothing too major.