Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Stars $3R satellite tournament

So I decided to play the Stars $3R sat to their Sunday $500k last night at 9pm PDT. It took nearly five hours, and the last hour of that was five or six of the eight people at my table playing as slowly as possible so the blinds didn't eat them up on the bubble. I'd be surprised if we saw twenty hands in the last hour of the tournament.

Couple that with the fact that, once the tournament was over (three people busted simultaneously on a different table, so everyone left had won a seat), it still took two minutes to complete because two of the morons at my table were still delaying -- during hand-for-hand! -- and apparently didn't realize it was done.

So my question is: Is this typical of all of the cheap rebuy sats to the $500k (the $3Rs at different times and the $11Rs)? I've seen one or two people attempt to slow down a table on the bubble before, but I've never encountered a situation where nearly the entire table was doing it. If it's typical, I'll likely avoid these sats in the future.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Stars $3R satellite tournament

In my experience, it is very typical of these tournys. I don't think anyone understands what hand for hand means. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 12:37 PM

Yes. In satellites this play is semireasonable. In the turbo rebuy supersatellites on Stars, the stalling results in the blinds being so big that most players are covered by the blinds. Since it is a supersatellite, players correctly do not try to steal the huge blinds. At that point, I will also stall so the tournament will end before I get hit by the blinds.

I have posted about this before, but the speed tournaments on Party are worse this way. Most of the table starts stalling with about half the field to be eliminated to cash.

Party plays mostly hand for hand in the money to reduce stalling. On these speed tournaments, some small stacks decide to stall hand for hand and slow the whole tournament down to blind out the big stacks.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:44 PM

The $3R isn't a turbo. By the end, it felt like precisely the opposite of a turbo [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I had forgotten that the $11R is a turbo -- guess I'll be skipping those for sure. For some reason, I prefer poker to slots.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The $3R isn't a turbo. By the end, it felt like precisely the opposite of a turbo

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a thought, If you can get your stack in the 130K (within a hour to go) range you can safely sit out and win. The 3r is about as easy as it gets , but yes it takes an extream amount of time.