Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: KEM

I got some at nicetoys. They still have the California Club back which is my favorite design:
http://www.nicetoys.com/kemcaliforniaclub.html

They're only $17.95, but they scam you a bit on shipping -- $6.50.

I figured I'd buy an extra set just in case they stop making this back or if the new ones suck.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:51 PM

Large conglomerate (USPC) buys smaller specialty manufacturer (KEM). The new owner will want to use their equipment, their management and technical people, their suppliers, their printing, etc. For those who anticipate that the new KEMs will be like the old KEMs are likely to be disappointed. That's not to say that the new KEMs won't also be good cards....just not the same.

A co-worker just dropped a set of DelNegros on my desk and they felt nice. I think they feel similar to Copags with a slightly more "papery" feel.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:07 PM

just ordered a set from nicetoys as well...thanks for the tip! i have four decks that i love, but would be very dissapointed if they start making less quality cards and i didn't get another before the switch.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got some at nicetoys. They still have the California Club back which is my favorite design:

I figured I'd buy an extra set just in case they stop making this back or if the new ones suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize these sets are vinyl and not plastic right? I have played with these and wasn't too impressed. Liked the original plastic cards much better.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:07 PM

so why is nicetoys the only place that can get USPC Kems?

anyone care to make a guess?
Old 03-15-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize these sets are vinyl and not plastic right? I have played with these and wasn't too impressed. Liked the original plastic cards much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two other sets. If they're all vinyl, then I'm happy with them. Not sure if there's a difference.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:09 AM

I just recieved two new decks (red, blue) of the new Kem arrow's from nice toys tonight. I am very impressed! I had heard the rumors about the new cards not being nearly as good as the originals, but that does not seem to be true. I have at least a dozen or so of the original Kem's and after taking a very close look at these there is not much difference. The A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] now says "by the US Playing Card Co. and there is a new contact/info card included. Maybe they are slightly less textured and perhaps a touch stiffer than the originals, but in no way is it much of a difference. I am not sure what a previous poster meant by "vinyl" but the new card still says they are cellulose acetate. I bought these because I really wanted the arrow backs and the only ones I could find of the old ones were like $57 bucks. Seeing the arrow design now in person I am so glad I got these-what a great design-awesome. IMHO anyone worried about these new Kem's being an inferior product need not. They are still at the head of the class.

cb
Old 03-18-2005, 12:38 AM

too bad they are [censored] sold out! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2005, 12:20 AM

fyi: most of the kem arrows on ebay are made by uspc. yes, i emailed the sellers.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fyi: most of the kem arrows on ebay are made by uspc. yes, i emailed the sellers.

[/ QUOTE ]

and they're all vinyl?

because if they are, they're [censored]