Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: In my prime

Either five years old or 19. I was much smarter at 19 and infinitely more physically capable.

However, I think my personality is in many ways better now. Growing older tends to make many of us intolerant and/or smug and figure we know it all(shades of being a teenager). But it makes many of us more accepting of people and their flaws, and less quick to feel confused or threatened by their differences, or judge them harshly for them. Our self-image isn't so much at stake anymore, and that makes us less likely to seek every opportunity to be jerks.

I think I may be closer to the prime of some kind of maturity of that nature now. I used to be commonly described as very intense. Now I'm no hero, but I'm more laid back and forgiving of both myself and others.

But cuts don't heal as fast, and I can tell my brain doesn't work as quickly as it used to. I used to have a laserlike focus and felt there was nothing I couldn't learn. That's nowhere near what it was, now.

You might be in your prime, but happiness goes to hell. Not that things are bad in your 40s, a lot of things are going great, but the stresses of life are probably at their max. Between kids, spouse, career, aging parents, debt, and inevitable physical changes, your 40s often feel like a treadmill even though you've gotten just about everything you wanted and worked for. You look back and your 20s were such a carefree, easy time.

But I wouldn't trade what I've got for anything.

Heh my 20's were hellish. I'm so glad I'm past them.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what do you think, OOT? What's your prime? Are you past it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-21-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either five years old or 19. I was much smarter at 19 and infinitely more physically capable.

However, I think my personality is in many ways better now. Growing older tends to make many of us intolerant and/or smug and figure we know it all(shades of being a teenager). But it makes many of us more accepting of people and their flaws, and less quick to feel confused or threatened by their differences, or judge them harshly for them. Our self-image isn't so much at stake anymore, and that makes us less likely to seek every opportunity to be jerks.

I think I may be closer to the prime of some kind of maturity of that nature now. I used to be commonly described as very intense. Now I'm no hero, but I'm more laid back and forgiving of both myself and others.

But cuts don't heal as fast, and I can tell my brain doesn't work as quickly as it used to. I used to have a laserlike focus and felt there was nothing I couldn't learn. That's nowhere near what it was, now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess we have to make concessions about how many we can take if those five year olds are in their prime. I bet DS is glad the past version of Blarg wouldn't be in the match with him.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:01 PM

Heh there are definitely different kinds of prime.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:05 PM

My prime:

mentally: 24
physically: 23
spiritually: 30
financially: 30

I turn 31 in a couple months...
Old 12-21-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that for me every year for a while now (I'm 29) I've felt I'm in better physical and mental shape than the year before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were much older. Huh.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:12 PM

I am way past my prime. I am much wiser now though
Old 12-21-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might be in your prime, but happiness goes to hell. Not that things are bad in your 40s, a lot of things are going great, but the stresses of life are probably at their max. Between kids, spouse, career, aging parents, debt, and inevitable physical changes, your 40s often feel like a treadmill even though you've gotten just about everything you wanted and worked for. You look back and your 20s were such a carefree, easy time.

But I wouldn't trade what I've got for anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an interesting point, and part of what I was looking for. I think if you're overwhelmed by stress and anxiety, it's hard to say that you're in your emotional or psychological prime. Part of this is a function of personality type more than age, but worth considering I think. A lot of people talk about their wonderful, carefree twenties, but I'm 26 and generally miserable. I look forward to the time when I'm 55 and my life is like a JP Morgan commercial.