Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Re: When do you move down/what do you do?

So I've been trying to play through this, and it's staying bad. I'm down to 310BB's in my BR, and I've got no anger control. I dropped 20BB's today and I had to get up because I wanted to hit something.

Here's the graph for this month.

I'm a defeated man right now. I can't sit down because if I drop another 10BB's I'll probably murder someone. Plz help.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the middle of my worst downswing so far in my career of playing.

From the last peak, I'm down about 160BB's playin 5/10 6m, over 5600 hands, spread over 3 or 4 days. It's brutal. My bankroll was at 510BB's before the downswing started.

I was a >2BB winner at this game over about 60k before this downswing.

When do I stop? What's the smartest move?

edit: Make that 170. And I quit for the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Move up you will get it back twice as fast. If you move down you will be stuck for a longer period of time.

I'm only kidding. Come on 160 isn't that bad.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:31 AM

You should move down immediately since your bankroll is not expandible. Try the most 3/6, but I recommend 1/2 until your game gets back on track. Your bankroll will thank you later.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a defeated man right now. I can't sit down because if I drop another 10BB's I'll probably murder someone. Plz help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a short break. Work on emotional control. Downswings are frustrating and painful, but you must learn to live with them, and play through them, if you're going to play this game, especially shorthanded. That doesn't mean you need to play through them non-stop when they're taking an emotional toll on you that compromises your game -- but it does mean that you need constantly work on disassociating results from play and concentrate on playing well. Sounds trite, but look at this as an opportunity to strengthen (which is to say weaken) the emotional side of your game.