Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-15-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Easy River Fold Versus Loose Guy?

6-Max Table at Party

Folded to SB(51.2/4.76 after 84 hands) who completes. I check with offsuite 96.

Flop is A9T all clubs. SB checks so I bet, he checkraises me. Its not too likely to be a flush. I would think he'd try to slowplay till the turn with that one. It may be though. Other possible hands may be an Ace altough I'd think he'd just bet it out. What seems most likely to me is a lower pair or pocket pair with a one card flush draw. So I call his checkraise.

Turn is the 6 of hearts giving me two pair. SB bets again and I just call. This is probably a sizeable error. At the time I thought I would let him keep on betting if he was bluffing. Theres a couple of problems with that idea though.

River is the 8 of clubs putting 4 of them on board. He bets and I fold with 5.8 Big Bets in the pot. Anyone see any value in calling the river?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Easy River Fold Versus Loose Guy?

I think I'd just fold the flop. Even if he does have a pocket pair with a flush draw, or just a flush draw, I don't think you profitably calldown from the turn UI, and you're not getting the odds to draw to your 5 dirty outs. I think I'd raise the turn, I don't know how to react to a 3 bet, though. I'd probably call the river just because it's a blind battle and he could easily have an ace, a ten, or some pocket pair here. If you had a passive postflop read I might be able to fold it.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:42 PM

Hmm. First, get a converter [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
On this flop, if you plan on folding to a turn bet, I think you should be folding to that flop check-raise. Outs are pretty tainted and may not even be good.

On the turn, I agree and think a raise is in order.

River is pretty close. I probably call but with that 4-straight and 4-flush, I don't know how likely it is he'll value bet an ace here. You're pretty much banking on a bluff.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:43 PM

Ok, so I am going to say that folding is a good idea here, simply because it is a pretty small pot. But I will add some analysis as to why I think calling the turn was a mistake.

By raising the turn, you take over the aggression for the hand. So it would be more natural for someone to check to you on the river, expecting you to bet. SO, if the fourth clud falls, a bad player is more likely to go for a checkraise on you, and you can check this behind and see if your cards hold up. I don't know how often someone will try to c/r the river here, but it's certainly something to consider.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:55 PM

When I called the flop I also took into account the times he would just check the turn and let me bet. Afer this is a HU blind battle and he's more likely to be checkraising with a hand I'm ahead of.