Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Anything that can happen will happen?

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed, I am also really concerned with reality... I am just not sure about where it starts, or where I am on this infinite sequence. And to say that my experience will be neccessarily(!) unremarkable, is not taking the real for real [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was far too poetic for me to understand. Maybe I'm dumb.

Say not big words for me know you say.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That was far too poetic for me to understand. Maybe I'm dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK,

First, I am nearly certain you are not dumb.

Now, trying to strip the poetry and the big words. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Infinity is not a concept. Reality is a concept, a sub-set of infinity.

All sequences are possible infinitely,, 60.. 61... 59.. 62.. 58.. 69.. 61.. etc.. and recurrences (happen again) of those.

Why should we not currently experience reality in that part of the possible sequence that is as above?

If we did, we would say that the likelyhood of 60 is very possible...? It is just as arbitrary as for it t it settles on 50% ... LOL

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Enjoy
Old 09-15-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Infinity is not a concept. Reality is a concept, a sub-set of infinity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that.

Anyway, what I meant is that 'reality' is not infinite. Just because reality doesn't have a foreseeable end doesn't mean that it is infinite.

A person, in reality, doesn't have the ability to play the lottery an infinite number of times. Firstly, their life span is finite. There are a finite amount of lotteries running a finite amount of games (usually one per day, I believe). The lotteries will exist for a finite amount of time. The person playing has a finite bankroll.

This is the reality I was speaking of. And for the purposes of this reality, and there can not be infinite trials.

I was just giving an example that can't be carried out infinite times, and has a chance of occurring roughly equal to 0.

As for my next example, let's look at the numbers that exist between 0 and 1. There are an infinite amount. Just say that we wrote a program to map out all of these numbers. In reality, this computer would not be able to do it. It also has constraints that disallow it to complete it's task. Most obviously are the memory limitations. Even if we had infinite memory, the system would eventually break down; the connections burn out, e&. Then there are the irrational numbers, that are themselves infinite. The computers would take forever trying to compute just one of these.

That is what I meant, although I do see your point.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:07 AM

If we bet on Red in Roulette. The chances of us losing on a North America (double greens) is abt 0.5263.

The chance of 10 losers in a row is 0.5263^10 or 0.163%

0.163% is about 1 in 650. So in the long run about every 650 rounds of 10 will get a 10 losers in a row. 99.837% of the time u'll get a mixture of wins + losses.

The funny thing is...i wrote a Red/Black/Green simulator and 10 in a row seems to appear far more often! Like 1 in 20/30 rounds or something!! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The funny thing is...i wrote a Red/Black/Green simulator and 10 in a row seems to appear far more often! Like 1 in 20/30 rounds or something!

[/ QUOTE ]
Arizona ran a numbers game for years before someone noticed that the number zero never appeared. Seems the programmer applied the modulus operator incorrectly to the RNG results. The entire program couldn't have been longer than 5 lines, and he managed to screw it up. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]