Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 08-02-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Beginner multi table question

When playing multi tables, how much of your play is determined by other players? Is the strategy mainly to only play premium hands depending on position?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Beginner multi table question

I play multi table exactly as I play 1 table. Start out slow - play tighter then normal. You will find that 2 tables rarly come in conflict with each other.

One table will grab your attention more then the other but keep both on your radar. Play only a short session and then relax back to 1 table. you will soon find that 2 tables is easy, then, pop in a 3rd for a tiny bit.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:02 PM

I agree with Webster. When you're ready to multi the micros, you should be able to do it without having to deviate from your tight aggressive strategy. I also advocate a gradual buildup. I now comfortably 4- or 5-table but at first 2 seemed hard. Your winrate per table will probably drop a bit because you might miss out on a few reads, but really it should only drop a BIT. If you find yourself making mistakes, drop back down again. Also FWIW, I find that I can handle multi-tabling much better in limit ring games than in NL sit and gos, where the play is faster and reads are more important. Two SnGs at a time is about all I can handle. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:03 PM

You want to gather and use as much information about your opponents as you can, but obviously this becomes more difficult as you add tables. One of the heads-up display programs combined with PokerTracker can really help with this.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:02 AM

My winrate actually went up LOL. Playing tighter on two tables cured a leak!
Old 08-03-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My winrate actually went up LOL. Playing tighter on two tables cured a leak!

[/ QUOTE ]

I only play two tables but I find that with one table I'll get bored and be more tempted to play more questionable starting hands just to play because of the boredom factor. With two tables going, I won't get tempted to do so.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:04 PM

What I will do sometimes to keep from playing bad hands is start up a play money room and mutli one real table and one play money.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:42 PM

Cool....thanks for the ideas on how to break into multi tabling. I can't wait to try them out!
Old 08-05-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I only play two tables but I find that with one table I'll get bored and be more tempted to play more questionable starting hands just to play because of the boredom factor. With two tables going, I won't get tempted to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be too dogmatic, but you might want to work harder to build up the discipline to not play hands despite boredom. I don't fault you for getting bored, or for that matter for playing hands you shouldn't, but multitabling seems like it doesn't really fix the root problem, just hides it.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:40 AM

I'm not saying "you"... I don't even know you. What I am saying is that way too many newer players are jumping into multi-tabling when they can't even play one table correctly. The two main reasons for this are 1) They think they're better than they are. 2) They don't have the patience to be entertained by only one table. Both of those are terrible premises to start playing multiple tables at the same time. That player is just asking to multiply his/her loses. The reason I am suspect of your readiness is simply from the questions you're asking. A player that is ready to go to multiple tables would know the answer to those questions.