Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 03-29-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Playing under mind altering substances

[ QUOTE ]
My general experience with people who consume alcohol while playing is not that they play too passively.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's that they don't shut up.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:16 PM

I've only take adderal once, but when I did I played Halo for about 6 hours straight. And I was focused 100% the entire time. I am sure it would be helpful to the poker player looking to put in a long session of multitabling.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:28 PM

The Wash U ppl are nuts for adderal...haha Ive tried it, not for poker, but I kind of view it as a not worth getting addicted and paying for it, compared to the benefits it provides. But, I have a couple workout stimulants, that contain ephedrine/caffien/aspirin, liquid clenbutrx (not the illegal clenbuterol), being one. Its good.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:26 PM

hah! i just recently started smoking weed and playing poker, and let me tell you, it's the worst idea ever for me. i enter ultra weak/tight mode , and have no idea what is going on, because i normally 4 table 6 handed. When im drunk though, i become incredibly aggressive, to a point where people think im a retarded maniac. Also adderral....i only played once while under the influence of that, and i dont really remember the session too much, but when i woke up, i was sitting with $600 at a $50 max buyin NL table.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First you say it improves focus and motivation and then you say you don't recommend it. WTF? You're sending some mixed signals Mr. Glide.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Adderral is meth, you think playing on meth would be good too?

[/ QUOTE ]

many stimulants including methamphetamine are good for your concentration. a friend of mine did his best graduate work at cal tech as a meth user (4.0, star of the dept. still looks back on that year fondly). but he also saw enough danger in his friends to get out in less than a year. that's the rub. it is great for a while. it may even make you smarter. but then there is the inevitable decline into amphetamine psychosis. (though paul erdos, one of the great mathematicians of the 20th cent, spent his entire, very productive, life on some kind of stimulant pill--maybe there is a way...)
Old 03-30-2005, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Paul Erdös was a habitual amphetamine user the last 20 years of his life, and a heavy consumer of other more mainstream stimulants his entire life.

Erdös' friends worried about his drug use, and in 1979 Graham bet Erdös $500 that he couldn't stop taking amphetamines for a month. Erdös accepted, and went cold turkey for a month. Erdös' comment at the end of the month was "You've showed me I'm not an addict. But I didn't get any work done. I'd get up in the morning and stare at a blank piece of paper. I'd have no ideas, just like an ordinary person. You've set mathematics back a month." He then immediately started taking amphetamines again.

[/ QUOTE ]

source
Old 03-30-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Adderoll

Yes, as has been mentioned I frequently take adderoll before playing. It helps that a)I am prescribed and b)that it is a small dose. It helps me to concentrate but mainly the tilt factor is none existant. As is the feeling that I am on a rush. Everything is completely mediocre.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:33 AM

A drug that might be good to play under, although i've never tried this is ecstacy. Boundless energy, complete lucidity, loadsa happiness, and if your monitors the brightest thing in the room you could end up staring at it for 7 hours straight. It's also very cheap, so you'd hardly blow your whole hourly rate on it. All you need is enough banging tunes on your comp. and hope the neighbours don't mind, because you will want the music very very loud.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The people I've played against who were stoned were anything but focused. That's because when you play against the focused stoned guys, you don't know that they're stoned.

[/ QUOTE ]

amen
Old 03-30-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Adderoll

This thread is making me want to take adderral/meth. That is not a good thing.