Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 01-05-2005, 03:07 PM

Default How far have you moved up at no-limit ring games?

I want to know how far you have moved up (online or B&M) in
your no-limit poker playing... Basicly I'm trying to find out how long it
will take me to go from winning at free ring games to the 2/4 nl ring
game... I realize many try and jump ahead of their bankroll at times, but
I would guess 90% of those who do get shot back down... As far as my
progress goes: I started playing free games in August of 2003 and through
many ups and downs I have made it to the .25/.50 nl (I got up to .50/1
briefly)... The unique part for me is I haven't risked any of my own
money... My goal from day one (having gambled and lost in my teens and
20's) was to not gamble at texas hold-em poker, but grind it out... It
took me 3 months to finally win real money in a freeroll (I rarely play
tournaments since. About two a month) and it took me 7 months to build a $250 bankroll playing .01/.02... Since last May I have not had a losing
month and have banked a few grand... I know many would have used that
money to move up but I didn't feel I was playing well enough to move up
too quickly... You could say that I am very conservative with my progress.
At this point I plan to be at the .50/1 nl by this summer. I play about 35
table hours a week.... So, anyone else move up from the free games with
little or no investment???
Old 01-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: How far have you moved up at no-limit ring games?

I'm in college, and I pay for everything but car insurance and tuition, so basically I'm a "pro".

I played for money in NL SNGs from January-June. I then had a lot of expenses and wasn't doing very good so I got a job at the San Diego County Fair for 3 weeks and made like $1800. I then deposited $150 and started playing $25nl 6-max

I won it up to like $800 really fast and started playing $50nl 6-max. I then had to pay rent and whatever so I stayed there for a while, until about early september where I played $100nl 6-max for a while.

I then had more stuff to pay out, and I realized that I wanted a reallllllly big bankroll so I'd never go broke, so I moved back down to $50nl and started playing full ring.

I then had about $3500 in poker account so I took a shot at $100, I won about $1,000 in a few days, but then I lost about 18 buyins and didn't even know if I was a winning player, so I dropped back to $50.

I then played that till like the end of october, got bored, decided to switch to SNGs again, did really damn good at the $10's, broke even at the $20's, then went back to NL ring at the end of november.

I started 12 tabling $50 full, thought that sucked after a while and decided to play $50 6-max, had like an 8k bad streak, so I dropped to $25nl 6-max and that is where I am today, with a $900 bankroll.

Not the best way to live or have a bankroll but I've never been happier.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:31 PM

I'm following that same path, only 1 year behind. I started playing the free games about 4 months ago. My plan was not to put in any real money until I could beat the play money NL game at UB. It took me about 2 week playing everyday to do it. I played it and beat it for 2 more weeks just to make sure. Then I put in the minimum deposit at UB and started playing the $0.01/$0.02 game there. My first buy-in was $2 and I never went below that. I built that up to about $100 over the next 2 month and thought I was doing well. I have a similar approach to moving up. I figure if I can't crush that game I have no business moving up. I think I need about $300 to start playing in the $0.05/$0.10 games. So I'll keep working those tables for now. You know, I never really understood what my poker books meant when they talked about having to grind it out at the tables. I do now.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:01 PM

I'm now playing the biggest nolimit game at Party, the $200NL 6max. I, like most, started playing low buyin SNGs, got bored of those rather quickly, and moved to the $25NL ring games. I then discovered 6max, and never looked back. This was back in July. I have played about 30K hands at each level ($25, $50, and $100) before moving up.

[ QUOTE ]
You could say that I am very conservative with my progress

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with that, but I'd be comfortable moving up with a 30 buyin bankroll (ie. 3K for the $100nl game)
Old 01-05-2005, 11:26 PM

I guess I could have kept my winnings and built up my bankroll more, but I wasn't (and still am not) fully happy with my play. I guess I should just build up the roll and move up at a faster pace. Everyone says the level of play at these low limits is about the same so I guess I could expect to win at the next few levels even with my current leaks.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:47 PM

I'm in college too, and poker is my only source of income now. I started playing for fun a year ago with my friends. Back then it was a social thing that I did with my friends. My game really took off this past fall when I started playing online at Party. At first I was playing .25/.50 limit hold'em because I didn't want too much variance. After a month or so, I got sick of it and switched over to $25 NL games and $10 SNG's. I'm still playing at those limits grinding out my income. I hope to get better and move up to $50 NL and $20 SNG's when I build up my bankroll
Old 01-06-2005, 07:44 AM

Link
Old 01-06-2005, 09:19 AM

I started with an online bankroll of 0, winning in the play money tables and selling 1million on ebay for 10$. (going rate is like 25 or 30 I think now...)

People progress at different rates, for cash I'm mainly playing 6handed 50NL on party, but IMO I have the BR/ability to play bigger games. I just like 6max50NL the best for where I am right now.

When I'm on PS I'll play 1/2 tables, although I have played some 2/4 with good results.

Live I play 100max buy in, although I've also wandered to bigger games, although not much. Mixed results there, but waaay too small a sample size.

[ QUOTE ]
So, anyone else move up from the free games with
little or no investment???

[/ QUOTE ]

Beauty is everything is basically a free roll... (except the countless hours I've spent studying the game / playing the tables) This definately helps my mindset while playing.

Oh, I started playing poker 2003 summer, and online for roughly a year.

*Edit: I started playing 1cent/2cent NL, then moved to stud penny tables. If you ever want to build a bankroll and get bored of low blind NLH, stud is by far the best. You get to know the players well, and it's easy to move up.
Anyways, moved up limits on stud, then started playing alot of MTTs, won a big tournament, that funded my ring game BR, and from there switched to 6handed limit. I multitabled that for a while, until I found these boards and restudied NLH.
Lately all I play is the 6max party NL and PS MTTs... I like them alot. When I need diversity I play Om8 MTTs.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:45 AM

I've been playing poker on and off for a couple of years, but I've never taken ring games that seriously (ie. no PT). I've just dabbled in SNGs/MTTs.

Anyway in late October I started to get serious and began 4 tabling the 25NL 6 Max. I moved up to 50NL very quickly, then quickly up to the 100 where I stayed for 6 weeks. I'm now playing 2/4 on Prima.

I have the bankroll to play 5/10 but I like to withdraw from it and enjoy myself. You're only young once, right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2005, 11:26 AM

I have been playing poker in home games for over ten years and recently started playing and crushing the local B&M $2/$4 limit. I had never played online and was kind of leery. I started out in February of 2004 with a $100 deposit at Paradise to play the .5/$1 limit games. Well within my first two weeks I lost most of it-including something dumb I did. I sat at a .25/.50 PLO table with $40 and no Omaha experience. Lost the whole $40 with the second best full house.

I was literally down to my last $4 and pretty much ready to give up online. I noticed that Paradise had .01/.02 NL tables with a $2 max-buy in. I figured this would be a good way to play the game they showed on TV, and these small stakes were pretty menaingless. I took what what was left of my online bankroll and sat at two $2 tables and had a VERY lucky session and now I had $12 after just a few short hours of play. I played .01/.02 and some $5 SNG's and after two months of play I had surpassed my initial deposit and actually had $200 in my account. That's when I moved up to .05/.10 NL. I played there until I had $500 and then I took a shot at .10/.25 NL. I had a rocky start but eventually managed to make some money. I took a shot at .25/.50 but decided to move back down after losing $46 on a semi-bluff where I flopped an open ended straigh flush draw against a flopped set. We got all-in on the flop and none of my outs ever came. Right after that I withdrew my initial deposit-so basically I was freerolling on other peoples money. I now have about $1100 and I'm planning on taking another shot at the .25/.50 NL games when my balance reaches $1250 (25 buy-ins).

I feel I'm a good enough player to probably beat the .5/$1 or even the $1/$2 but I feel better working my way up in limits. I have a good job and I could certainly afford to take a shot at the bigger games, but my goal is to get there and not have to use any of my own money.

My goal for 2005 is to build enough bankroll to start playing the .5/$1 NL games online.