Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games

Old 08-14-2004, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Most profitable type of gambling.

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard that many think Golf betting is the best for this very reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Golf pros play for sponsorship (prize) money not with their own.

When hustlers gamble golf people are laid odds to even it up.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:15 PM

Gambling for a living by Sklansky&Malmuth p.62-63

In fact, the most successful gamblers are the big sports bettors.

There is an obvious reason for this. Sports betting is the only "game" where you can increase your bets in proportion to your bankroll and still have virtually the same edge. You can`t do this at the racetrack without dropping your odds. Increase your bet size in blackjack and expect more "heat" and a less profitable game. Move up to bigger stakes in poker and you run into other pros who will cut down your potential win rate dramatically. In case of slots, promotions, and tournaments the prizes usually stay fixed regardless of your ability to gamble higher. Such is not the case in sports (unless you are betting such huge amounts of money that you move the line; in Vegas this would take about $50,000 per game if you spread your bets around).

So if you really do learn to beat sports, do your homework, watch as many games as you can, keep records, and treat it like a business, you can forget about that measly $100,000 a year we promised you. In sports, the sky`s the limit.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most profitable type of gambling would be any game of physical skill if you are in the top 3-5% of the players in the world. This cannot be disputed. In sports betting you have no control over who plays when, you cannot adjust the line without adjusting the vig and do not know the internal motivations of others. When you are betting on only yourself you have full control of all variables including choosing to only play against others whom you know you can beat. Why take a 3 or 4 % edge in sportsbetting when you can have a 99% edge betting on your best game?

[/ QUOTE ]

but you're disregarding opportunity. How many people in the world do you think would bet Kobe Bryant that they could beat him in basketball? Almost nobody. However, many people will bet sports against one of the top handicappers in the world.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:25 PM

No disrespect but you and Al obviously have little real world gambling experience. Suckers line up to play better players all the time, this is reality and this is also a no lose proposition unlike sports betting. If sports betting is so darn easy to beat why don't you all quit your jobs and become fulltime professional handicappers?

Long term you cannot beat the vig in sports betting without inside information and many outlets with different lines and high limits from which to choose. Not all that easy a combination from which to select.

On this forum I am likely one of the best pro football sports handicappers as proven by my posted record in last years contest and you don't see me selling my business and moving to Vegas to live the good life.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:57 PM

Long term you cannot beat the vig in sports betting without inside information and many outlets with different lines and high limits from which to choose. Not all that easy a combination from which to select.

Long term you cannot beat online poker, because online poker is rigged. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

On this forum I am likely one of the best pro football sports handicappers as proven by my posted record in last years contest

Long run?
Old 08-17-2004, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Long term you cannot beat online poker, because online poker is rigged. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

On this forum I am likely one of the best pro football sports handicappers as proven by my posted record in last years contest

Long run?

[/ QUOTE ] you left out "and you don't see me selling my business and moving to Vegas to live the good life." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2004, 07:48 PM

This is a very easy question, based on your guidelines. If a poker player is in the top 3-5% of all players in the world, he is going to win 80% of the times he plays - at stakes that should be easily found of $100-200 and higher.

Call Lem Banker and ask him how he is doing handicapping...............and ask how large a bankroll you need to make $100k a year

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2004, 03:40 PM

"If a poker player is in the top 3-5% of all players in the world, he is going to win 80% of the times he plays"

that is clearly false. No matter what the stakes, no matter how much skill is involved, nobody has 80% winning sessions unless they are cheating.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:28 AM

If I remember correctly, assuming that you flat bet(all of your bets are 1 unit) and are winning at a rate of 57%, a bankroll of 150 bets give you a risk of ruin that is virtually zero.

57% is a good long term number to have....60% is not and is usually indicative of a poor handicapper and it is not because they are a liar ...Do you see why?

-Huh
Old 08-19-2004, 06:37 AM

Im retarded... deleted