Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-31-2005, 11:13 AM

Default auto push?

Villian is a not good lag. He not crazy over-aggro or anything, but he's too loose and running good at the moment. Just kind of crappy 61/23/1. (i normally don't think twice about this push. someone else kind of hemmed and hawwed about it today, not quite as eager as i was to push, hence the post) Do you guys check this turn?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed)

5 players, Hero is CO.
BB ($670.46)
Hero ($187)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $6.

Flop: ($16) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $16</font>, BB calls $16.

Turn: ($45) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $90</font>, Hero has only $130 behind, $60 to call...
Old 12-31-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: auto push?

I don't see a whole lot of reason to push this........
Old 12-31-2005, 11:47 AM

So you fold this?
Old 12-31-2005, 11:47 AM

One of the things that can make a LAG bad is that his betting tendencies leak information about the strength of his hand. He's running good so surely you've seen how he plays his big hands? When I have a nut redraw and the option to see the next card for free, I am certainly going to contemplate getting checkraised before deciding to make my bet. In other words, I don't think the question here is "what do I do now that he's checkraised?", I think the question should be "what's my plan for the rest of the hand when he checks the turn to me?" Beyond that point there should be no more thinking. There are relatively few combinations of events that need to be considered so you can run through all of them before making your action on the turn.

Without knowing his tendencies we can't do much here... obviously if he is capabable of checkraising a lot of worse hands on the turn, AND he is capable of checkfolding them sometimes on the river (like if a spade comes, or if he just had second pair, etc) then pushing is good. If he could checkraise the turn with absolutely no hand (which would of course fold to a push), AND he's capable of making a desperate river bluff, then calling might be better. On the other hand, if he does a lot of his bluffing on the flop but checkraises big hands on the turn, then you might have to consider a fold (in which case you may have been better off checking).
Old 12-31-2005, 12:17 PM

soah,
he is capable of CRing a variety of hands on this turn: a flush, a straight, a turned 2 pair or set, a pair+FD, a pair+SD, a pair+SD+FD, Ks+SD... I doubt he does this often with air. We have been skirmishing and both been aggressive with each other. I imagine his range is pretty big coming from the BB and being a player who likes to assert control over the table.

unfortunately, this being the internet, i don't know much about his bluffing and check raising tendencies/frequency yet. we have yet to grow that intimate.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:53 PM

auto turn check w/ the NFD
Old 12-31-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you fold this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never bet this turn with the intention of folding to a raise from this guy.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you fold this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with flawless, but since you bet and got checkraised I would go ahead and push

If he's got the flush it doesn't change much, if you call you will both get the rest in on any river. But if he's got just a Q or a K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] then you want to get the rest in on the turn