Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-27-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: 15/30 questions

what is partymine and how is it different than just datamining the old fashion way?
Old 12-27-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is partymine and how is it different than just datamining the old fashion way?

[/ QUOTE ]
Partymine is a program that will keep 10 tables open at whatever limit and with however number of players on it you want. If the number of players drops below your minimum the table is closed and a new one opened.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:20 PM

David, you already have the bankroll for 15-30. I wouldn't bother with stopping at the limits in between. Just set yourself up for the expectations of winning and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, losing more than you are used to.

Move to the 15-30, get adjusted, and don't turn into a LAG as a lot of people taking their first steps into 15-30 land are wont to do.

You will see that a lot more hands do not go to showdown, you will be 3-bet with AQo very often and mid-pairs down to 77 routinely. You will be put in more positions where putting in a value raise isn't truely as valuable as keeping your opponent around for more bets (the first time you wait to raise your overpair on the turn and get a fold, you will see this).

You will also get to know the biggest fish on a first-name basis and learn to seek them out and never be bothered when they put beats on you (and privately cheer them on when they are getting short-stacked and are in a hand against another player).

If you take a big hit financially, drop down to the 10-20. You'll be amazed how soft it will feel and you will crush it and be back at the 15-30 in no time.

- Jim
Old 12-27-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you take a big hit financially, drop down to the 10-20. You'll be amazed how soft it will feel and you will crush it and be back at the 15-30 in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this question has been answered about a zillion times, but is there a big differance between 10/20 and 15/30?
Old 12-27-2005, 01:40 PM

I've only played about 13k hands at 15/30 but I don't think so. Other than the fact that it is full ring and I played 10/20 6-max.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would invest $30 into PartyMine and mine each level before you move up

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hijack this for a moment, but I am curious. Once you have tens of thousands of hands mined at the level, how is the data used while you are 8 tabling? I guess I am asking how you use it to make decisions when you have a couple of seconds per table to act.

[/ QUOTE ]
I use it for table election first off since I can go to a table and not see a bunch of unknowns. Then I use PA HUD.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:02 PM

The aggression level is generally less at 10-20 from my experience, which makes decisions easier and less costly.

- Jim
Old 12-27-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2/4 to 15/30 in 75 days?

1) Is it possible to win 2/100 over the long term, being a quite competitive player for this limit (top 12%)?

2) Is there good table selection available at 15/30 full ring?

3) Is it possible to play 8 tables silmultaneously at 15/30?

Sorry if this would best belong in small stakes. Sorry that it's probably been asked like 100 times already. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking from my own experience number 2BB/100 an hour would be an extroadinary win rate over the long term (by which I mean hundreds of thousands of hands). The game selection is not that outstanding and 8 tables would be practically impossible. There is a big difference between 8 tabling 2/4 vs 15/30. The players at 15/30 are going to force you make more tough decisions which will require your attention.

Your results may vary.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:16 PM

I really disagree with most of what you said. I think when going up in limits it is VERY important to take it in stages. Moving up from 2/4 to 15/30 with no stops in between just because you are rolled for the 15/30 is a bad idea.

When you move up in a limit you pick up different skills you didn't need to have to beat the limit before. Just skipping all these limits will cause you to miss some skills you will probably need to beat the 15/30.

Also I highly recommend the OP play the 6-max 5/10 and 10/20 games. This is because in those games a lot more pots are blind(s) vs opener (compared to 3/6 and 2/4) putting you in a lot more marginal situations as is the case for the 15/30. I would also like to add that I think the OP quest is possible though kinda of diffucult. You would have to run well and not have a extended break even stretch. Good luck.

SGS
Old 12-27-2005, 08:12 PM

I understand what you are saying. I'm in the move up as fast as your roll will carry you camp though.

Will he have to move down after taking a few lumps? Very possibly, maybe likely.

Will he learn his ass off and challenge himself? Obsolutely if he approches the game with the right mind-set.

It's not like he just crossed the $9k threshold, he has more than enough roll to play the game. I hope that I'm in the 30/60 game before my roll hits $36k.

If his financial situation depends on his poker earn, then I completely agree with you though. I should have said that to begin with.

- Jim