Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 10:39 PM

Default When are you too told for law school?

So thanks to easy money from poker, a brief fling with rock stardom and life in general I will be completing my B.A. next year at 25. However, in the process of getting on track I rediscovered a level of achievement motivation that I haven't had since grade school (like many twoplustwoers I was very, very bright as a kid), and am pulling down very solid marks in university (my last 60 credits should be right around a 90 CPA, not sure what that translates into for GPA but it's 6 points above median acceptance average for my law school of choice).

I have really zeroed in on law as my career of choice, but I worry about starting a new degree that I wouldn't complete until I'm 29 (plus articling), and not getting into a career until so late. I've done some searching on the LSATs here and obviously there are quite a few 2+2ers who are graduates of law school or are currently in school. I'm interested in particular in anyone else who has started late, and whether it was worth doing at that point.

P.S. In terms of opportunity cost, I would likely go to work for my father's consulting company out of school if not going to law school, with the probable intention of doing at least an M.A. before I was 35, both of my parents worked right out of school and pursued higher degrees later in life. So I'm likely looking at further schooling regardless, but Law School would certainly be more of a sacrifice intially. Thoughts on law as a career and law school in general are also very welcomed. Also, I'm Canadian FWIW.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: When are you too told for law school?

53 years old is when you become too old.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:51 PM

Your age is not really an issue. I know several people that started law school at your age. Some used their degree, some didn't.

The issue is your energy. At 25 you have less energy to do busy-work than you do at 30. At 30 you have less energy than at 35 (I think). The question is, when you graduate, are you still going to be willing to work the crazy hours that new lawyers work? If not, your degree may be a waste. Only you know where you fall on this curve.

Take the above for what it's worth. I did not graduate law school myself. I am, however, in my late 20's, working a full-time job, going to school at night for a PhD, and also playing poker 10 hours a week. The temptation to choose a path with more free time gets stronger as you get older. If you're attracted to law school for the money and not because of interest, there may be a strong chance that you won't be willing to work the hours when you graduate. Otherwise, if 4 years isn't important to you, it certainly isn't important to anyone else.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:51 PM

I know someone who graduated from law school at the age of 73.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
53 years old is when you become too old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but he said he's Canadian so 48 sounds about right to me. Unless the conversion is in reverse in which case he's good to go until he's 57.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:53 PM

The average starting age at most law schools is 26.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 PM

you wouldn't be too old at all. Many people go to law school much later than that. Many do very well, often the extra maturity helps. In most law school classes there are older students. Be pretty sure you want to do law. It can be great. It can be awful as a career tho. Just make sure you want it.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. You are ahead of the game if you know this is what you really want. I graduated when I was 30. I don't think it hurt me at all.

The law allows you to incorporate a lot of real-world experience. Being a bit older seems to help. Furthermore, those who are a little older seem to be there a a matter of choice, as opposed to just not knowing what else to do.

Finally, law is a demanding profession. It helps to know yourself and your limitations, desires, etc. I see a lot of younger lawyers who put themselves in job situations that are not too agreeable to them. There is a good reason why the turnover rate is rather high for young associates ... many just "find" themselves in a particular job, and then realize its not for them.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The average starting age at most law schools is 26.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link? This is obviously very encouraging if it's so. I agree with both the sarcastic and helpful posts above that age is not on its own a determining factor at all, and what is really at issue is more personal factors like you describe. I do not doubt my ability in the slightest to commit to school and career building at that age, I won't be any more uncomfortable than I am now taking electives with 18 year olds. Perhaps the question should be more focused on "is it any harder to build a legal career when starting at the age of approximately 30?"
Old 10-29-2005, 11:03 PM

No link required. 26 is the correct number.