Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2004, 02:59 AM

Default My only problem with Poker

I've been playing Poker semi-professionally now for about 21 months and I've been doing decent. My poker profits almost equal my salary and I usually only play every other night. My bankroll's at a good size and I've thought about going professional, play in all the big tournaments, which I haven't done yet, and do something I love for a living.

My only problem is when I think 20, 30 years down the road and I look back on my life as a professional poker player, I don't feel any sense of accomplishment whatsoever. I've imagined winning a ton of tournaments, achieving absolute and utter sucess in poker, and when I imagine myself at that state, I feel like I've contributed nothing to society. The point is when I die, I don't want to be remembered as a great poker player -- I mean, so what.

Currently I'm just lowly merchant banker, but if I think 20-30 years down the road at success in the field, I do feel a sense of accomplishment. I wouldn't mind going to my grave as a Soros or a Peterson -- especially if I can do some considerable philantropy.

All I know is I only have one life to live, and I want it to be enjoyable, but I also want it to be meaningful, to me, my future family, and society as a whole. Of course it would be best if I could die a great writer or philosopher, but I'm not showing much promise in those fields yet, haha. But to die a great poker player, who spent his life playing a card-game, I don't know, it's just depressing to think about.

Maybe you pros out there can give me some feedback on how you feel about the profession, and if I'm not seeing some bigger picture. Thanks.

- Kase