Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: 5/10 SH party QQ in BB

In my opinion folding is better than calling. I agree it sucks for us, but getting outplayed by a worse hand would be terrible here the pot is already 250 ad i have less than 1k behind, with no reads do you think this is foldable?
Old 10-28-2005, 01:22 AM

I hate this coup. If you get big money in you can't be in good shape unless the SB is a donk massively overplaying AJ. If you raise the flop and he is happy to indulge in a betting competition you are either up against a combination hand that is going to have lots of outs, or you are going to be behind, potentially a long way behind. If you call on the flop an offsuit ten is a good card for you, but what else do you really want to see? Depending on how I'm feeling I may well ditch this, or I flat call and just delay the difficult decision until he bets the turn, I guess if you are lucky he is a weak player who will check the turn. Do you really lose a lot of equity by folding marginal made hands against unknowns or strong players on co-ordinated boards where you are deep enough for there to be action on all streets? I don't know.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:31 AM

What those who say raise are implying is that they're somehow positive SB is leading into you on a draw. How they know this, I have no idea, but apparently they do. If they think he has AJ, then they want you to raise him off one of the few made hands we can make money from. I await elaboration.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What those who say raise are implying is that they're somehow positive SB is leading into you on a draw. How they know this, I have no idea, but apparently they do. If they think he has AJ, then they want you to raise him off one of the few made hands we can make money from. I await elaboration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically I like raising in general, and this situation looks good enough for it. This board is really drawy, so he could be leading with a pretty big range of hands. Queens beat a lot of them and are behind a lot, but you should have a solid six outs if you're behind. Calling is not cool since about half the deck is going to make the turn suck. I don't really like calling the flop and folding the turn when a scare card hits, since Villain could easily just be playing off it. I guess you could call the flop and get in on the turn regardless, but that's kind of weird and is a lot worse than getting in on the flop against a combo draw. I raise more preflop too (not that it makes a big difference).
Old 10-28-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically I like raising in general, and this situation looks good enough for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is awesome.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:00 AM

My gut keeps telling me that folding is actually the play here. I can't get value off worse hands, signs are already pointing to being in trouble and my opponent made a perfect bet where I won't be able to find out where I am without committing myself, however committing myself seems wrong. Calling to see turn is ugly because there aren't many cards I want to see. And worse hands will probably drop out right there or take me off my hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My gut keeps telling me that folding is actually the play here.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
running bad will do that

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been running a bit bad for the last month, myself, and I can't help but agree with you here. There are a lot players that this would definately be correct against (Like RED_FACE), and I think that against most randoms in the party 1K (although I have only played a few times) it may be correct.

In a live game, I could see calling and re-evaluating on the turn... but online.... against an unknown....

Due to stack sizes, this is basically push or fold here, since a pot sized raise leaves us with 3:1 odds.

I think that a set is pretty damn unlikely here. 88 maybe, but I think 99+ usually raises here PF. Against everything else, we're either a coin flip vs. pair and flush draw, far ahead of pair and straight draw (with no flush draw), only about a 2:3 dog to two pair, and of course, drawing nearly dead against the straight. (I think that the straight here is pretty damn uncommon, considering villians line)

AJ no flush draw is just about the only possible holding that we could maybe get to showdown with that we're ahead of.

So yeah.. flop looks like a push or fold the flop... I think it's pretty close, and when it's close...... well, I used to push. =\
Old 10-28-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling is not cool since about half the deck is going to make the turn suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same half the deck may make the turn suck for him too. And we have position.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:12 AM

So what do your propose is the play if we call turn and he checks on a spade.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:55 AM

Bet.