Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Quack-Quack

I did not expect the Ducks (Oregon) to beat USC, only a fool would have. But I did know they had a good chance of beating ASU (Sundevils). And they did just that (31-17 AT Sundevil Stadium) in a fairly exciting game. Oregon is on the cusp of being one of the top 25 teams in the nation. Personally I wished they were not ranked (I think they are #25 in one poll) - it is only a distraction. But they do have chance of running out the rest of the season with all wins and getting to 10-1. But they have a big game at home on Nov. 5 aganist California (Ranked #10 at the moment). That will be another tough one. I hope it rains like the dickens for that game. The last game of the season is also a home game - aganist Oregon State. Always a hate fest of grand porportions.

Go Ducks!

-Zeno
Old 10-09-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Quack-Quack

We were ranked in the top 25 before this game I believe. The good news is that they should play better, and have been, as the season goes on and they get the hang of the new offense. Clemens has looked pretty good in the games I've seen. Cal is certainly beatable.

I'm pretty excited because I'm going home early for Thanksgiving and so I'll be going to the Civil War. I've gone to Duck games since birth basically and studying in Pittsburgh sucks as far as that goes.

Jared
Old 10-09-2005, 02:55 PM

I will be in Oregon for Christmas. Hope your studies are going well in the East.

I remember going to Duck games (football, basketball, and track) with my dad since I was about 4 or 5 years old. Precious memories.

Have fun at the Civil War. Give at least one yell for the oldtimers.

-Zeno
Old 10-09-2005, 03:22 PM

Prepare to be owned hippies!
Old 10-09-2005, 03:27 PM

I hate the Ducks, and the diehards here are the most absurd fans ever. Idiots that never even went there have ducks [censored] plastered all over their cars. I guess its just because this state only has one professional team, so they have to resort to overrating the Nike sponsered Donald Ducks.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the Ducks, and the diehards here are the most absurd fans ever. Idiots that never even went there have ducks [censored] plastered all over their cars. I guess its just because this state only has one professional team, so they have to resort to overrating the Nike sponsered Donald Ducks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is true. People in Oregon (which I'm assuming is your here and not this forum) tend to be more into college sports than people in most states, and that's because the only three local teams you can really get behind are Oregon, Oregon State and the Blazers. With Portland's off court issues a lot of people are alienated by them as well so it's even worse. It's also gotten worse recently since both Oregon and Oregon State have had very successful seasons in the last 5 or 6 years. Fairweather fans for both these teams are terrible because they have only been following for a few years and act like they've been good forever.

Like I said earlier, I've been going to games since very early childhood. While both my sister and I graduated from the U of O, neither of my parents went there. Growing up I often went to games with 4 or 5 friends whose families also went and grew up in my small town (Sutherlin for those in the know). Of all these families I think only one had adults that were alumni. Keep in mind this is when the team was terrible. We weren't as bad as the aggies mind you, but we were pretty bad.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:54 PM

Care for an avatar bet, hick?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:57 PM

How much cow [censored] did you step in walking around campus? And that smell from the barns that waffed about was actually good because it offset the smell from the co-eds. Ha-Ha. Juvenile stuff I know.

Anyway, I graduated from the U of O and one of best friends went to Oregon State. He is now an engineer at Boeing. We engage in a friendly rivalry every year at Civil War time.

-Zeno
Old 10-09-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prepare to be owned hippies!

[/ QUOTE ]

No mascot will strike fear in the hearts of the enemy quite like the beaver.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:02 PM

I was there also for those bad times. The early 80's were very embarrassing. In 1983, I think, the Civil War ended in a 0-0 tie. I knew the center that played on that team, he was in one of our lab classes. He was in a funk for months.

-Zeno