Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Another Magic player wins a bracelet

[ QUOTE ]

Although this post mostly sucked, he is right about the cheating. The cheating in Magic tourneys is pretty disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is cheating a bigger problem at big Magic tournies then it is at big Poker tournies? NL Hold'Em seems like it's a game tailor made for collusion/team play. I haven't played any big Poker tournies so I don't really have any basis for an opinion.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:25 PM

Too bad i just sold a shitload of old rares to some kid for $200 the other day. They were probably work more [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Also, at walmart the other day, I saw a sealed box of Limited Jabbas Palace for $5.00.....I almost picked it up because i knew people had the online thingy...Then I figured it would probably just sit around my house and collect dust.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:40 PM

Rancho Bernado....

I spent my first 17 yrs in Poway. But I think we have to be a few years apart in age.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you cheat in a MTG tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could write a book about it. I never cheated (in fact, the rampant cheating is part of the reason I quit) but the stories I have... wow. Here's a free one.

At one Pro Tour, a certain "Pro" made the final 8 through a rather intricate system of signals. Before his last matchup, he found out somehow (I don't recall how) that his opponent had a good number of counterspells. Being a sealed deck tournament, the Pro in question was afraid that his key cards would not hit the table. So he and his friend worked out a bunch of signals wherein the Pro would "ask" if it was safe to cast an important spell, the friend would reply with "Yes" or with a description of the counterspell in question, and the Pro would act accordingly. The match was a total buttkicking.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Although this post mostly sucked, he is right about the cheating. The cheating in Magic tourneys is pretty disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is cheating a bigger problem at big Magic tournies then it is at big Poker tournies? NL Hold'Em seems like it's a game tailor made for collusion/team play. I haven't played any big Poker tournies so I don't really have any basis for an opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheating in Magic tournaments is a MUCH bigger problem. There are many more areas to cheat.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:17 PM

in poker you do not shuffle, deal, or draw the cards. in magic you do all of that. one of the best stories i heard was a guy used to tape a card under his chair, then when he needed to use it, reach down and top deck it for the win.

and most of you have to agree. you would never admit to playing magic in public. anyone at school would think you were a total loser. thats the point im trying to make. poker is definately more respectable.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dave Williams, ZeeJustin, Efro, Brock Parker, Noah Boeken and I'm sure there's more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom Keller was the first one of us to win a WSOP bracelet, so he should be mentioned here.

Other names to look out for: Erik Kesselman (JDredd), William "Huey" Jensen (does well online, but I don't know if he would like me revealing his identity here, so I won't), Jon Finkel (JonnyMagic), Kyle Rose (K_Rose), Shawn Keller (Catchoftheday), Chris Pikula (our very own Paluka).

I know there's a ton more, but my mind is drawing a blank.

P.S. Despite what Cardplayer.com would have you believe, there is no 'k' in "Eric Froehlich".
Old 06-09-2005, 05:31 PM

also, you cant even count the number of top players who have been suspended at one time or another because of cheating. Ryan Fuller comes to mind. he was suspended for one whole year. most have said he is the biggest cheater of all time.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, you cant even count the number of top players who have been suspended at one time or another because of cheating. Ryan Fuller comes to mind. he was suspended for one whole year. most have said he is the biggest cheater of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll never forget Michael Long having what must have been an accidently dropped Cadaverous Bloom in his lap.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you cheat in a MTG tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just ask Dave Williams, I hear he's an expert