Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 05:50 PM

Default $50 bankroll question

I play on pokerstars and have exactly $50. Which games (SNGs) do you think are best to play to build my bankroll with. $1 +.20 (45 ppl) $1.75+.25 turbo (18 ppl) $5 single table or $6 turbo single table games?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this so if not please tell me where.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: $50 bankroll question

Well, when I just had $50 i played $10NL Hold'em tables. And you might want to try the $10 PLO8 tables too, some easy money there [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 11:12 PM

I assume you're unwilling to reload your account if you bust. The bad news is you probably will with this small bankroll.

With that said hopefully you'll get lucky and start out with positive variance, so I'll try to give you some advice about that.

Your SnG results can really bunch up so you may win a few and get cocky, then not cash for a long long time. Take it slow. Play at least 20 SnG's before you even think about moving to a higher level, but be ready to drop down any time you feel your bankroll is getting too small for the level you're at. My point is not that 20 SnG's is enough to tell if you're a winner at a level - it clearly isn't, but that when you cash in 4 SnG's in a row and win two of them you'll be sorely tempted to move up. Don't. Play a dozen more and see if your success continues.

It's really tough to even believe variance can be as large as it is in poker. The human mind just doesn't want to believe in short term random events. But there is no avoiding it. At some point you will go on a long losing streak, even if you're making great decisions the whole way. There is simply nothing you can do to avoid it. Couple this with being a new player who probably isn't making great decisions the whole way and it is remarkably easy to bust, even if you feel like you know what you're doing. Three years ago I never would have believed you needed over $3000 to regularly play $5/$10 fixed limit. I mean, if you're a good player, you surely can't lose more than a few hundred bucks before you win it back, right? Sadly, this is not true.

So getting back to your case - you just don't have the bankroll to play at any of the levels you mention IMHO, but not having the bankroll doesn't mean you will bust, just that you're at risk. The thing I really don't like about these tiny SnG's is the vig is frequently well over 10% which really sucks. Still, your opponents should really suck on average. Stick to the smallest buy-ins you can - I'm not sure which of the two smaller options is better, but my gut tells me you're better off in the $1.75 + $.25 even though it's a higher buy-in due to the much smaller field.

I rarely say this when it comes to poker, but good luck.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, when I just had $50 i played $10NL Hold'em tables. And you might want to try the $10 PLO8 tables too, some easy money there [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not good advise at all. You got lucky.

To the OP: When I had a $50 roll I built it up playing the nanolimit hold em games. I would advise you grind it out there. I would also read this post: MrWookie's bankroll building guide. It is the new industry standard.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:05 AM

Um... how about some bonus whoring at other sites to build the bankroll, then come back with a few hundred, and more room for error? I feel like your BR may be too small that it will change your game into playing too weak for fear of busting out.

If bonus whoring is not a possibility, you might have to go to nano-limits.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:55 PM

Playing nanolimit is a great way to learn solid poker.
I'm still learning, everyday, but atleast I've build a roll of $600 learning.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um... how about some bonus whoring at other sites to build the bankroll

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Whoring even possible with $50?

Go to PokerStars and grind out the micro-limits. The .02/.04 LHE or the .01/.02 NLHE tables are great for building a bankroll from scratch. I started with $50 on Stars a few weeks ago and I'm up to $80. Yeah, it's a slow grind, and you won't be buying a plasma with your winnings any time soon, but your risk of ruin is practically non-existant. Just play smart and be patient.

JunkHead
Old 11-08-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play on pokerstars and have exactly $50. Which games (SNGs) do you think are best to play to build my bankroll with. $1 +.20 (45 ppl) $1.75+.25 turbo (18 ppl) $5 single table or $6 turbo single table games?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this so if not please tell me where.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are your goals and is $50 your total bankroll or are you willing to reload? Also, many of the stickies in each forum have bankroll advice. Find the forum that interests you and check it out.

Micro limits
Homer's building a bankroll (some info may be outdated)
Single Table Tourneys
Multi-table Tourneys
Old 11-08-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started with $50 on Stars a few weeks ago and I'm up to $80. Yeah, it's a slow grind, and you won't be buying a plasma with your winnings any time soon, but your risk of ruin is practically non-existant. Just play smart and be patient.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like how I started out too. Now I've never managed to get a plasma screen, but I did take my wife to San Francisco with poker money this past summer.

So yeah, it can be done! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I started with $50 on Stars a few weeks ago and I'm up to $80. Yeah, it's a slow grind, and you won't be buying a plasma with your winnings any time soon, but your risk of ruin is practically non-existant. Just play smart and be patient.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like how I started out too. Now I've never managed to get a plasma screen, but I did take my wife to San Francisco with poker money this past summer.

So yeah, it can be done! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like me. I don't have a plasma but I did take a trip to long beach CA this summer