Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 09:36 AM

Default noob question

Lets say I hold A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and I'm HU.
Flop is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Other guy bets out and I suspect he holds a K.

Now, is it worth to call? 1 time out of 3.5 I'll hit my flush but since there are no other bettors, this seems like a bad call? Correct? Obviously I could spiker an A too, but still...
Old 10-23-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: noob question

It all depends on what he bet. You are 9 outs to the flush plus, if he holds the K, you are 3 outs to the top pair. 12 outs comes to about 2:1 pot odds needed to call. So unless he goes all in and takes away your odds, its usually a good call.

According to Harrington, 14 outs gives you an even money bet if you are sure to see both the turn and river. I like your bet here.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:59 PM

Since there's zero in the pot (or you would have mentioned it), fold.

Seriously, this question makes no sense until you tell us how much the bet was (if NL, which you also didn't tell us) and how much is in the pot.

If $1000 is in the pot and he bets out for $1, call. If $2 is in the pot and he bets out for $1000, fold.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:21 PM

Limit.
3 big blinds in the pot after he bets the flop.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:37 PM

Thanks. Getting 3:1 on the call it's very marginal. You're 4:1 to make a flush on the next card, 2:1 to make it by the river, but you'll likely have to call a big bet to see the river. Aces are probably all outs for you (with a pot this size, it seems unlikely your opponent has AK) and you can probably make another bet or two once you make your flush, so you just barely can justify calling this. But you could certainly fold it too, particularly if you think your opponent isn't likely to pay off and if he wouldn't be trying to steal the pot with no pair to
Old 10-23-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say I hold A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and I'm HU.
Flop is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Other guy bets out and I suspect he holds a K.

[/ QUOTE ]
That you suspect he has a king doesn't mean he has a king.

The nut flush draw is a very strong hand. It's almost impossible to fold the nut flush draw correctly in limit. (I rarely fold it on the flop in NL, when the bets are much larger in relation to the pot.) The question is whether to raise or fold. The right play in most limit games is to raise.

Remember that your ace-high might be the best hand. If it is, as it will be at least a few percent of the time (and more in an aggressive game against good players than against bad, passive players), you'd be making a huge error by folding.

Even if your ace-high is not currently the best hand, you have a huge draw, 12 outs to beat the current top pair. You can easily be only a 55-45 underdog against a strong hand.

If you raise, your opponent will suddenly hate a lot of hands, and may fold a hand like 55 or A6. Your oppponent will call with any flush draw, even though those are in terrible shape against you. Your opponent is less likely to bet on the turn when there is a blank.

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1296756
A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 0.468
Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 0.532

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1296757
A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 0.466
5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 0.534

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1296758
A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 0.654
6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 0.346

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1296768
A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 0.337
K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 0.663

If you get 3-bet by a passive player, don't expect your ace to be good, but you have the odds to call to the river anyway. Against an aggressive player, cap if you are 3-bet, and expect your ace to be good much of the time.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:15 AM

A big blind is normally referred to as a "small bet" (SB) and is half a big bet (BB).

You haven't said what limit you are playing.
If there are indeed only 2 "big blinds" in the pot, apart from being a very tight game, he must have been on the small blind and you on the big blind.

If so, he could have virtually anything. It is difficult to know the best play without a read on the opponent. I like a raise here. If he is passive he might check the turn.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:56 PM

It may be worth a call, but I would almost certainly raise instead.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:56 AM

flop:raise
turn: call a bet, or take a free card.

This isn't a big pot to be worried about. a fold isn't "bad" IMO. we don't play poker to make flushes, we play to win money - there isn't any money in the pot (hardly)