Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 01-24-2005, 03:38 AM

Default value raise or slow play?

25/50 online 8 handed.

MP1 is LAG preflop, loose-passive postflop and way too tight-passive on the river. appears to be a beginner.

Do not have great read on SB except that he is somewhat tight-typical.

Hero is UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
hero raises. folded to MP1 who calls. folded to SB who calls.

flop 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($175)

SB checks. Hero bets. MP1 calls. SB calls.

turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($250)

SB bets.

Call or raise?
Old 01-24-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: value raise or slow play?

im a small stakes guy, but i think youve gotta raise. youll get action from a spade draw. A slow played deuce might give you a chance to cap. I dont see any value in waiting for the river to raise, unless you can get a 6 or 77-TT to bet the river where they would have folded to the turn raise.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont see any value in waiting for the river to raise

[/ QUOTE ]
What about keeping MP1 in the hand?
Old 01-24-2005, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
25/50 online 8 handed.

MP1 is LAG preflop, loose-passive postflop and way too tight-passive on the river. appears to be a beginner.

Do not have great read on SB except that he is somewhat tight-typical.

Hero is UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
hero raises. folded to MP1 who calls. folded to SB who calls.

flop 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($175)

SB checks. Hero bets. MP1 calls. SB calls.

turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($250)

SB bets.

Call or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a raise is bad here. If MP1 does drop, your still going to probably get called by SB, thus you make the same amout as if you had just called in the hopes of keeping it three handed.

What you want is for him to be on something like a flush draw and call your raise thinking he's getting 4/1 on his call.

Then pray for a spade. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You mention that MP1 is tight passive on the river, so your not going to lose much if he does drop on the turn. If the river doesn't hit him, he won't be around for your river bet.....might as well try and get it while he still has a draw and might pay to see one more card.

Just my thoughts,

Husker
Old 01-24-2005, 07:28 AM

wow, i totally missed the fact that it was three handed. its been a long day [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I still say raise. Im not sure what mp1 will call with that he wouldnt call a raise with. Im mostly thinking a spade draw. He may also call with a pocketpair, but probably isnt calling two here.

So upon thinking further, i have no idea. I just like to charge my opponents to draw dead i guess. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2005, 10:15 AM

i think it depends on the aggression level of the sb. if he is capable of 3betting here with a 2 then i like raising. MP probably isnt going to be able to call this turn unless he has a flush draw or 66. i dont think he is going to overcall 99 on this board. the hands that he will overcall with he will call 2 bets with, so raising is better.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:20 PM

Here's how I looked at this hand:

MP1 could have anything. he is unlikely to call 2 bets without a big hand, but he's also fairly unlikely to call 1 bet without a pair- which he likely doesn't have. He's pretty unimportant here, because he probably isn't even close and will fold. A raise and a slowplay will probably get similar (small) amounts of $ out of him in the long run. I've seen this guy call raises preflop with 54o T7o and reraise with J2s.

the SB bet is very interesting because- knowing that 3/4 aces are accounted for, he probably doesn't have the ace he is representing.

1. he could have a 2 or 66. in this case it is far better to raise, because he will likely assume I have a high ace and reraise, allowing me to cap.

2. he could have a flush draw- in this case it's obviously better to raise.

3. he could have the last ace. in this case it doesn't matter what i do. he's calling down from here on out.

4, and probably the most likely- he has something worse than an ace and is bluffing. in this case a slowplay is better.

you guys are right- a raise is better, because it gets 1-3 extra bets (i'll say 2.3 on average) both when he has 2/66 and when he HITS his flush draw. A call gets 1 extra bet when he is bluffing. the ratio of 2/66 or made flush draw:bluff is probably something like 1:2, making a raise superior.