Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Clarification

When I said break even streak, of course I was really talking about a losing streak. Just in case that wasn't perfectly obvious to everybody.

My thinking is, say you hit 5,000 in your bankroll and go on a losing streak. 7k hands later you claw your way back up to 5,000 dollars and keep on going up. I think of it as 7k hands of break even poker because you've broken even after 7k hands even though you were actually underwater all that time.

Also, if you have a couple of stellar sessions during the streak and popup slightly over 5000 dollars but immediately sink back under 5k if I call it breakeven poker you can include that in your streak.

--Ze "Mr Obvious" Tack
Old 01-11-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Zetack\'s Clarification

Ok then, add about 6,000 hands to my original number for the break even streak, to factor in the few days before the first downswing and the few days after New Year's.

That makes it roughly 28,000 hands.

I would give a more specific number but I had to create a new PokerTracker DB and don't know Access at all, so I haven't taken the time to figure out how to combine DBs, and am too lazy to do the math on paper.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: How long have you played break even poker?

[ QUOTE ]
On New Year's Eve variance decided to bitch-slap me in the nutsack with -100BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch. I know how that feels. In the 15/30. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

BTW I think you were UTG+1 here:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;o=&vc=1
Old 01-11-2005, 03:40 PM

Currently running 35,000 hands at -52BB at 3/6, from November 27 to current day. BB/100 for 30k hands previous to this date, 3.5. BB/100 for hands after this date, -.16. Have had only two winning sessions greater than 20BB since that date. Deepest point was -160BB. I'm sure if I were a better player and could always avoid tilt this number wouldn't be so high. I am now officially taking a break to try to learn a little more and to compose myself.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course if you aren't a winning player your losing streak may be untouchable...

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you know?
Old 01-11-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course if you aren't a winning player your losing streak may be untouchable...

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm guessing. But if you were an avid, lifelong, but losing, poker player, say 65 years old, who'd jumped onto the online poker bandwagon in, say 2001, you could be underwater for your entire life...how many hands might that be?

--Zetack
Old 01-11-2005, 09:58 PM

Thsi thread has been heartening. I have been playing tread water poker (a little over 2 bb/100) for about 30k hands at the snuggle bear soft .5/1 Party tables. God the suckouts have been insane and seem like they will never end! Still plenty of holes in my game, I'm sure, and still looking for them, but it's good to see some of these posts.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thsi thread has been heartening. I have been playing tread water poker (a little over 2 bb/100) for about 30k hands at the snuggle bear soft .5/1 Party tables. God the suckouts have been insane and seem like they will never end! Still plenty of holes in my game, I'm sure, and still looking for them, but it's good to see some of these posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

2BB/100 is not "tred water" poker. It sounds to me like you just need to improve your game if you want that number higher.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2BB/100 is not "tred water" poker. It sounds to me like you just need to improve your game if you want that number higher.

[/ QUOTE ]
No arguments from me.

What do you consider tred water poker?
Old 01-11-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What do you consider tred water poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Matching the rake? I.e. 0BB/100.